Silicon bakeware

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moiby

Reaction score
Hello,

I own some silicon cake moulds (commercial quality, suitable for temperatures over 400 degrees F) and wondered if they'd be OK for soap moulds?

Many thanks in advance.

i used the loaf pans and i LOVE THEM!!!!! I have 3 of them and they are the greatest! make sure you get the loaf pans w/ the rows of little feet on the sides...they keep their shape very well; some of the cheaper ones' tend to bow out when full....

I've had some issue with partial gels in silicone loaf pans, and I don't really care for the tapered shape most of them have, but other people seem to love them. Just my 2 cents.

Oh my goat, I LOVE LOVE LOVE them :lol: I wish we had the variety over here in Aussie that you'll have in the states, some of those molds are fantastic.

LJA, to get over the partial gell issue, you can put them in a low oven, CPOP, and ensure gel that way. I do that with all my soaps now because I got so sick of partial gel.
I use them with no issues at all, but I have a new Nizzy mould that I am totally in love with at the moment, so haven't used them for a while.
But they are great, and i have found them in such great shapes, teddy bears, hearts, stars, flowers, all sorts of great ones.
I have heard of some saying that the colour from the mould has "stained" the soap but I've never had that problem.

ChrissyB said:
LJA, to get over the partial gell issue, you can put them in a low oven, CPOP, and ensure gel that way.

Thanks for the tip!
Do you use the same recipe (same quantity) as for CP or you add more water?
And how about the EO/FO? do you use the same amount as in CP?

I have problem with partial gel with small silicone moulds (i.e. muffin), not the big ones (i.e. plum cake), but I have to insulate very well.

I have heard of some saying that the colour from the mould has "stained" the soap but I've never had that problem.

I had this problem with a very cheap silicone mould (bought at lidl, a hard discount), but some of my friends used the very same mould and didn't have the problem. I guess I will give it an "empty run" (with water and flour in the oven) and try again.

ciao
vale

I turn my oven onto the lowest setting while I am melting oils, preparing everything, then when I have poured my soap I put it in the oven.
Now the jury is still out on how long to leave it in, I generally keep an eye on it over the next hour, to hour and a half, when it's completely gelled I take it out to cool it down. I only do this because I once had a batch that overheated.
But I have heard of people that put it in the oven and leave it in over night. they must turn it off after a couple of hours though. It would also depend on the ambient room temp when you are doing this, obviously in the middle of summer you don't need it on as long, where as in winter you might need to turn it up a bit to get it going.
Either way, it will guarantee a full gel, which for me is better for my soaps.

ChrissyB said:
LJA, to get over the partial gell issue, you can put them in a low oven, CPOP, and ensure gel that way. I do that with all my soaps now because I got so sick of partial gel.
I use them with no issues at all, but I have a new Nizzy mould that I am totally in love with at the moment, so haven't used them for a while.
But they are great, and i have found them in such great shapes, teddy bears, hearts, stars, flowers, all sorts of great ones.

Thank you, ChrissyB! Great tip!

as far as the shape...if you slice a thin slice off of each end to square up the soap, you can get a decent shape...only once did i have a prob w/ gelling and i think it was a function of the recipe, not the loaf pan.

I was going to try out my new silicone rectangle this Sunday...Thanks for the advice..If I get partial gel I'll try it...

How high should the heat be?

Back