sigh. too much water? immediate rebatch?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dds

Reaction score
i have just made my 4th batch ever, today. i guess i thought i'd get creative, and i think i overstepped. i barely got trace, but no separation. but i now have oil beading up on top and i'm thinking i can either wait this one out and see what happens, or ask you wonderful people for your experienced input. i think i messed up with adding water in addition to the frozen milk. have at it, i can take criticism well!

44oz frozen goat milk
20oz lye
12oz avocado oil
12oz coconut oil
12oz palm oil
6.5oz lard
0.5 oz castor oil
7.0oz olive oil
18oz water
4T scent

The first problem is you have a severely lye heavy soap. The 44 oz Goat's milk is not considered 44 oz of fat. Here is a link on how to figure the fat and liquid content of your Goat's Milk.
https://classicbells.com/soap/nutritionLabel.asp

Honestly, I would dump the entire batch and not even try to fix it. It is fixable but will take a very large amount of oil to fix it. Your lye should have been around 7 oz not 20 oz. You would have to use around 150 oz of oils to use 20 oz of oils.

Where did you get this recipe and did you run it through a lye calculator?

thanks...the orig recipe had 10 oz, but i tried it as a double batch of all ingredients to fit a larger mold. but now, rereading things, i see that i missed increasing the oils appropriately too.

Last edited:
You need to always run your recipes through a lye calculator, even one you find in books or on the internet.

To require approx 10 oz lye you would need approx 75 oz of oils which will result in 7 lbs of soap. That is really a lot of soap for a beginner. You really should be starting with 1 lb batches of soap and can even use milk cartons as molds.

Your soap can be fixed but I would dump it and cut my loss. One way would be to rebatch with the appropriate amount of oils but it will take a lot of oil and the other is to boil it in order to boil out the extra lye. Boiling it out is not fun.

I would dump the soap.

And for future reference, if you want to double your recipe, print out a new recipe with the new measurements (lesson learned).

You need to always run your recipes through a lye calculator, even one you find in books or on the internet.

To require approx 10 oz lye you would need approx 75 oz of oils which will result in 7 lbs of soap. That is really a lot of soap for a beginner. You really should be starting with 1 lb batches of soap and can even use milk cartons as molds.

Your soap can be fixed but I would dump it and cut my loss. One way would be to rebatch with the appropriate amount of oils but it will take a lot of oil and the other is to boil it in order to boil out the extra lye. Boiling it out is not fun.

Well I've done a lot of research since my first post on this! Greatly appreciate your advice. I am intrigued about trying to save at least half of it, more as a learning experience than anything. It seems I should gently warm the grated and slightly moistened lye heavy batch to about 140 degrees and then add in the amount of missing oil. Then, I assume (!) blending to trace again. I haven't seen anything that talks about only cooking out the excess lye, unless I am misunderstanding he point of these articles. If you happen to know of a site that you could share with me on that subject, that would be grand! Again, thanks for the help...this soap making thing is pretty darn interesting!

I would dump the soap.

And for future reference, if you want to double your recipe, print out a new recipe with the new measurements (lesson learned).
Thanks, learning is fun...and pricey! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, learning is fun...and pricey! :)

I had quite a few ‘opportunities to learn’ (what I call my failures):

1) When making multiple batches of lye, label them. I used the lye for a 2lb batch in a 1lb batch; it warped my Dollar Store bowl it got so hot. I put it in the middle of the drive way.

2) When making multiple batches of oils/butters...add all and label them. I got side tracked with a phone call and didn’t add olive oil to one of my batches. I put it in the middle of the drive way.

3) When making multiple batches of soap with different recipes, label the bowls. One batch went into the garage, the other in the drive way.

4) Weigh your bowls and measuring cups and write the weight with a Sharpie. If something happens and you get distracted you can weigh your bowl/contents.

5) Along with the above, write your recipe in the order in which you add your ingredients. My recipe reads Cocoa Butter, Palm Oil, Coconut Oil, Shea Butter, Castor Oil and Olive Oil.

6) Every time you make soap, print out your recipe even if it is the same recipe, just a different color and scent. Even if you are a hobbyist as opposed to a business, it’s a good idea to keep a record of your soaps. Write the date and time. Write what colorant and scent you used And if you had any issues...or not. Note your saponification process (covered, uncovered, oven process, refrigerated, heating pad, etc). When did you unmold and cut? Anything to note...hard, soft, spongy, spots, separation, etc? How long did you cure? Did you test?

Get a 3-ring binder and a three hole punch minimum. You can get plastic sheets and dividers or you can just open the binder and stick the newest batch of top (my favorite right now).

"...It seems I should gently warm the grated and slightly moistened lye heavy batch to about 140 degrees and then add in the amount of missing oil. Then, I assume (!) blending to trace again...."

Yes, you could theoretically do that. But you're going to have to add almost 10 pounds of additional fats to do this correction, based on Carolyn's calculations. That is a LOT of additional fat. And you don't even know if you like the soap.

Don't throw good money after bad and hope it will all turn out fabulous.

"...I haven't seen anything that talks about only cooking out the excess lye, unless I am misunderstanding he point of these articles...."

This process is called salting out. Here's my article on salting-out -- https://classicbells.com/soap/saltOutTut.asp

You posted about another problem batch in 2018, and I gather you did much the same thing with that batch as this one. See https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/rebatch-for-lye-heavy.69218/#post-690103

The replies you got in the 2018 thread give much the same advice as you're getting in this thread. Two batches now where you've treated milk as if it's a fat and ended up with a lye-heavy batch. Doesn't that pattern concern you?

Frankly, I'd toss this batch and concentrate on learning how to use the soap recipe calculators and building your basic soap making skills.

Latest posts

Back