Rebatch/undissolved lye beads

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, I made a coconut milk soap. CM as full water replacement. Lye slowly into frozen cubes. Did not strain! (Who would do that, right?) FO accelerated and began to rice, but not immediately (which I found odd). Attempted to whisk. Almost smooth. Plopped in PVC mold. Upon cutting, there are little white spots here and there. No zap until I did it on one of those white spots. ZAP! I'm assuming undissolved lye beads. I don't usually put my solution in an ice bath, but did this time. Im thinking it did not dissolve all beads due to staying so cool. My question is, do I toss it or can I rebatch? Will these beads dissolve during the rebatch process?

Personally, I would toss it. They aren’t likely to dissolve even during re-batching and can’t be strained at this point. I may be wrong but don’t think so.

Personally, I would toss it. They aren’t likely to dissolve even during re-batching and can’t be strained at this point. I may be wrong but don’t think so.
I agree. I've had that happen before when experimenting with a 300g batch of 100% RBO soap. It sucked because I was looking forward to testing that soap.

Back