Shower Lotion Bar Tests and recipes

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you! I ground the heck out of the rice and then ran it through a fine mesh strainer. Glad I did as it was still fairly scratchy. Even with just the rice I love it. Definitely going to the store in the morning for almonds and beans.
I was thinking of buying almond flour instead of grinding almonds. Has anyone else tried that?
I'm thinking I'll try almond flour next time. Grinding it was almost too much for my little grinder. It was starting to turn to paste.

I am fortunate to have the dry grains blade/container set-up for my Vitamix so I can grind everything in one go. I do have to stop frequently, however, and dig out the stuff at the bottom. Otherwise, it tends to clump at the bottom and become pulverized into flour, while the larger pieces are still whirling around above it.

@dmcgee5034 I am going to steal your idea and strain it each time I stop. That will help a lot - thank you!

Attachments

• giphy.gif
    giphy.gif
    2 MB · Views: 0
Just wondering here - if I didn't want exfoliation, would this still be a nice thing to use before getting out of the shower. It's cold here. Getting out of a warm shower and getting dried off in the winter - and then putting on cold body cream is not all that pleasant. Some days I skip it because I just want a sweatshirt ASAP. I don't have overly dry skin, but it is drier in the winter months.

@dibbles have you ever tried a solid hair conditioner bar? They make very nice body moisturizers, too. :)
Just once - it was the Stephenson's MP base that someone gave me to try. I really didn't like it for my hair, but never thought to try it on my body. A DIY solid conditioner is probably a better option.

@AliOop what a great idea. I am going to definitely try this before I delve into making shower lotion bars. I do need something on my skin especially in the winter months.
Thanks, I can't claim credit for it but it does work well for me. I can't remember ATM where I first heard about it, or I'd give that person a shout-out for sure. I regularly use my hair conditioner bars on my skin in the shower. They last so long as it is that it's kind of nice to have a way to use them up a little faster. ;)

I just made 100 grams which was the perfect amount for one bar in the mold I purchased at Michael’s. This stuff is great!
My percentages came out a little different than @not_ally’s. This could be because I didn’t have almonds so I googled how much 1/2 cup of almonds weighs. I used almond flour instead of grinding almonds and it seems to work well. Here’s what I used:
35% Cocoa Butter
35% Shea Butter
9% almond flour
13% Basmati rice
6% Small Red Beans
1.5% Optiohen Plus
99.5% total
After grinding the rice or beans I used a fine mesh strainer to separate the small bits from the larger pieces. The larger pieces went back into the grinder or were discarded. The rice and beans were weighed after grinding as some was discarded.
After melting the butters I added the dry ingredients and mixed everything. Because I lack patience I put the jar in an ice water bath to cool. When the sides were starting to firm up I gave it a good stir and poured the mixture in the mold. The exfoliants seemed to remain suspended very well. After showering my skin feels amazing.
Thank you @not_ally for getting this started!

I just made 100 grams which was the perfect amount for one bar in the mold I purchased at Michael’s. This stuff is great!
My percentages came out a little different than @not_ally’s. This could be because I didn’t have almonds so I googled how much 1/2 cup of almonds weighs. I used almond flour instead of grinding almonds and it seems to work well. Here’s what I used:
35% Cocoa Butter
35% Shea Butter
9% almond flour
13% Basmati rice
6% Small Red Beans
1.5% Optiohen Plus
99.5% total
After grinding the rice or beans I used a fine mesh strainer to separate the small bits from the larger pieces. The larger pieces went back into the grinder or were discarded. The rice and beans were weighed after grinding as some was discarded.
After melting the butters I added the dry ingredients and mixed everything. Because I lack patience I put the jar in an ice water bath to cool. When the sides were starting to firm up I gave it a good stir and poured the mixture in the mold. The exfoliants seemed to remain suspended very well. After showering my skin feels amazing.
Thank you @not_ally for getting this started!
Thank you for this by weight! It makes it so much easier. Especially as the recipe calls for 1/2 cup whole beans v ground beans. I didn’t think to lookup how much a cup of beans weigh…

@dibbles have you ever tried a solid hair conditioner bar? They make very nice body moisturizers, too. :)
I have been wondering about this. My hair conditioner bar can easily over condition my hair. I’m thinking of reformulating but don’t want to waste what I already made. This may be a good use of that bar.

Latest posts

Back