Shaving Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trinity

Reaction score
I have been working on a recipe for about a week and I thought I had it but then I read that the Stearic acid numbers need to be close to 40 and mine are not even close to that and thats even with adding 3 percent stearic as one of the ingredients along with cocoa butter and sunflower which I know have higher stearic numbers but how do I get closer or does it really need to be that high? I have read most if not all the post on shaving soap and I really wanted a bar of soap, not that it has to be really hard but not a foam. Idk just getting frustrated. Any help will be appreciated :crazy:

Just add more steric acid until you get the numbers you want. You will have to go higher than 3%.

Ask your self what you want in a shaving bar, longer lasting foam? Extra emollients? Less drag? Things like that and then formulate your soap with ingredients that give you those things. You will be able to get what you want, it just takes research (from many places) and testing.
Good Luck

The shaving soap from this thread uses 52% stearic acid and seems to be quite well received, both here and on the shaving forum it originated on. It's basically a reversed engineered recipe from a top shelf soap. As soon as I can get my supplies in I'm going to try a batch.

Latest posts

Back