Shaving soap is soft

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, the 20% castor oil will mean your soap will be a bit softer and may take longer to unmold. I think it'll be fine once it sits and cures for a couple of weeks.

I just want to say that I tried to shave my legs with the soap and it is awesome!! Its the first soap Ive made myself and used.

I did that recipe also a few days ago it is taking forever to unmold but what has is firming up nicely.

I read somewhere that Castor oil makes your soap hard and you should use between 5 to 10%.

So much different information... makes a persons head spin.

I read somewhere that Castor oil makes your soap hard and you should use between 5 to 10%.

So much different information... makes a persons head spin.

I've never heard anyone ever say that castor oil makes a hard soap. The 5-10% recommendation is to boost the bubbling. Once you start getting above 10%, like the 20% brandi used, the soap can be very soft and sticky and will take longer to harden. A 100% castor oil soap can be nice and hard, but there are diminishing returns - very little lather, somewhat slimy for a 100% castor oil bar.

If its still sticky I put mine in the freezer for awhile, actually I forgot it was more like a day, anyway took it out ran hot water on the bottom for a sec and they popped out beautifully! No stickiness and a day later even better.

Frankly, my favorite shaving soaps are of the soft Genova Italian tradition. They are not hard pucks in the English manner, and are instead soft like a child's clay. The soft soap seems to load my brush quicker than the pucks, and I often describe the lather as "epic!" But I spend a great deal of time with youngsters, so this is bound to happen.

Frankly, my favorite shaving soaps are of the soft Genova Italian tradition. They are not hard pucks in the English manner, and are instead soft like a child's clay. The soft soap seems to load my brush quicker than the pucks, and I often describe the lather as "epic!" But I spend a great deal of time with youngsters, so this is bound to happen.

I agree completely. The only downside is that they tend to be used up faster, in a "grams per shave" sense. But since they are also (mostly) much cheaper than the English hard bars, it's a wash in the end.

Latest posts

Back