Shaving M&P base for richer lather?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sperry

Reaction score
I'm still concerned about thin, watery, and non-existent lather (i've tried 6 bases). Has anyone tried... or does anyone have any opinions on, adding a bit of shaving soap base to a regular M&P base? Seems like it would have to make richer lather and be gentle to skin. I can think of a downside... perhaps it would soften the soap? But M&P tends to be really hard anyway.

I ordered samples from New Directions Aromatics: Natural SLS Free, Clear, Non-certified Organic (the best lather, but nowhere near what I would call good), and Shea. Out of curiosity, I made a bar of the NC-Organic and added about a tablespoon of liquid dish soap (I'm not going to do that to my soap, I was just curious) and the lather was marginally better. I'm should get a 17 bar sample from SFIC today. Hoping for the best. Any advice GREATLY appreciated.

Since you're getting SFIC base you'll be happy with your soap and lathering ability! I think SFIC is a fine base and I've used the white base from them many times.

Another tip to increase lather is to add about 1/2 teaspoon of sugar to one pound of soap base.

I got my samples from SFIC, and you are right. Lots of lather. I heard about the sugar trick, too. I'll try it if I need to. Thanks. Quite a relief. And SFIC is an hour's drive from here, and they let customers pick up at the dock. I can tell you I don't mind not paying shipping for soap base.

Latest posts

Back