Shave soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

candicec003

Reaction score
Holy frig, I cant find the INCI name for hydrogenated soybean wax....Anyone know what it is?? TIA

Here's what I found. I think soybean oil is typically listed as "Glycine soja (soybean) oil" so I believe you could also list it as Glycine soja (soybean) oil, hydrogenated - but I'm not positive on that one.

Soy wax is fully hydrogenated soybean oil, from what I've read on other threads on this forum and also from CandleScience's website here.

Since the thread is named "shave soap", I guess you perhaps look for the INCI name for saponified soy wax.

I have tried to find out, by looking in the very confusing EU legislations, but did not succeed.

I suspect saponified soy wax does not have its own INCI name. At least I could not find it. And I don't know if you can tweak one to match or not. I don't think so. Either an ingredient has an INCI name, or it doesn't, I guess (but don't know).

Hydrogenated needs to be included, I found out. And soybean oil saponified with sodium hydroxide has this INCI name: Sodium Soybeanate.

If it is possible to tweak names, I would have written this:
Sodium Hydrogenated Soybeanate (Soy Wax), Potassium Hydrogenated Soybeanate (Soy Wax).

But perhaps saponified soy wax does have an official INCI name, but I'm not skilled enough to find it in the EU mess. I ended up here in the end, and it has a lot of information about INCI names for allsorts of things: http://webdictionary.personalcareco...line/FrontMatter_Vol1 Edited for Websites.pdf

Since the thread is named "shave soap", I guess you perhaps look for the INCI name for saponified soy wax.

I have tried to find out, by looking in the very confusing EU legislations, but did not succeed.

I suspect saponified soy wax does not have its own INCI name. At least I could not find it. And I don't know if you can tweak one to match or not. I don't think so. Either an ingredient has an INCI name, or it doesn't, I guess (but don't know).

Hydrogenated needs to be included, I found out. And soybean oil saponified with sodium hydroxide has this INCI name: Sodium Soybeanate.

If it is possible to tweak names, I would have written this:
Sodium Hydrogenated Soybeanate (Soy Wax), Potassium Hydrogenated Soybeanate (Soy Wax).

But perhaps saponified soy wax does have an official INCI name, but I'm not skilled enough to find it in the EU mess. I ended up here in the end, and it has a lot of information about INCI names for allsorts of things: http://webdictionary.personalcarecouncil.org/ctfa-static/online/FrontMatter_Vol1 Edited for Websites.pdf

The INCI name for soy wax is: Hydrogenated Soybean Oil

I have found it on a few sites that sell it for use in cosmetic products.

Here is one listing the INCI name:
https://www.hollandchemicals.com/im...3651SP-1269andSP-1267personalcareproducts.pdf

Here is another: https://www.naturesgardencandles.com/cosmetic-wax/soy-wax-1-pound

But I already addressed that in my previous post #6

Yes, I saw that, I just thought if they perhaps needed the saponified version of soy wax, which would make the INCI name change from Hydrogenated Soybean Oil to Sodium or Potassium something. Like olive oil changes from Olea Europaea (olive) Oil to Sodium Olivate when it gets saponified. But they did for sure ask for the INCI name of plain soy wax, and not saponified soy wax. And that for sure is Hydrogenated Soybean Oil. Luckily very easy to remember :)

Saponified soybean oil's INCI name is: Sodium Soybeanate, so I guess you can use 'Sodium Soybeanate, Hydrogenated' as the INCI name for saponified soy wax. I am not sure, but it makes sense to me, since it is soybean oil that was hydrogenated.

https://www.saffireblue.ca/blog/inci-terms-for-saponified-oils/

Or the non-saponified INCI name:

Glycine soja (Soybean) Oil + ', hydrogenated'.

Depends on how you label (I label what goes into the pot, rather than what comes out of the pot. Both are acceptable in the US - I don't know about elsewhere.)

Rune, I found it in SoapCalc. Once you enter a recipe and view it, you can click on "INCI Names" and it takes you to the list of INCI names for the ingredients in your recipes.

Here is an example based on the two soy wax listings in SoapCalc (at 50% each in the sample recipe to get the INCI names):

Soy wax INCI names.JPG

It doesn't use the saponified INCI names, though.

So did the INCI website change? It doesn't look at all like I remember it and it now requires log in to see the database. Bummer. I hope it's easier to read and search.

Last edited:
Yes, Sodium Soybeanate, Hydrogenated is much better.

Yes, I guess it is wise to label what goes into the pot, because you can avoid more of this type of problems (from a customer review on Amazon.co.uk on Edwin Jagger's 99,9% natural shaving soap:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/custome...vw_btm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B001L6V0U6#wasThisHelpful

"Given the opportunity to read the ingredients list on the pack, the word "traditional" is not the first thing that comes to mind. It is a long list of chemicals. The description of ingredients on the website for this product is inadequate. A reading of the side of the box reveals that it contains at least one chemical, possibly more, that is known to cause allergic reaction: butylphenyl methylpropional. For me this would be a problem.

Had the ingredients been listed, I would not have bought this. Why don't they just fess up and save us all a lot of bother?"

And the long list of chemicals is this:

"Potassium Palmate, Sodium Palmate, Potassium Stearate, Potassium Palm Kernelate, Sodium Stearate, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Glycerin, Aqua (Water), Palm Kernel Acid, Parfum (Fragrance), Hexyl Cinnamal, Hippophae Rhamnoides (Seabuckthorn) Fruit Extract, Limonene, Linalool, Pentasodium Pentetate, Tetrasodium Etidronate."

So well, as you see it is just a very traditional soap with the only "chemical" being the fragrance and the two chelating agents. But people don't have the faintest idea that things like Potassium Palmate is just saponified palm oil, which is very understandable that they don't. The list of INCI names for an untrained eye look like you have dumped whatever you have on hand of chemical substances in there. It looks way more appealing when listing what goes into the pot than what comes out.

When I start to sell one day, I think I will label what the final product is and not what goes into the pot. It just feels slightly more right for me. BUT, if I get 1 negative comment like that from Amazon, I will immediately change to listing what goes into the pot instead.

I did use to misunderstand labels myself, before I knew or bothered to find out what really lies behind the long list of "scary names". I think quite many do that, actually. On the other hand, very many don't bother to read any ingredient lists at all.

I did not come into that INCI database, needed to register for an account and probably pay and I did not bother. I know I have been there before, without any log in. Or it was another type of INCI database.

They do change some INCI names, I saw that in one of the documents from the EU. I don't know which, I don't even know where I ended up there, because it is so messy and confusing. But I did see that some names had changed from the old name this and that to a new name.

What I have seen when I did try to find a soy wax to buy, and different soy waxes from different brand, was that they used several different INCI names for more or less exactly the same thing. I remember two: Hydrogenated Soybean Oil and Hydrogenated Vegetable Glyceride. It was at least one more, but I can't remember what.

Thank you for finding out about the INCI names option in SoapCalc :) I was there just now to test it out, and it is fabulous!

Back