Shave soap; stearic acid and pine tar

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bohunk

Reaction score
Ok I spent the several days reading the mega thread on shave soap and several sites about the subject. So yes, I went there, down the stearic acid rabbit hole and did some web searching. I found a source for Hystrene 5016 (Hysteron 5016) which according to the hysteron 5016 data sheet is 100% stearic acid.

I want to know is this true? Anyone of y'all used this in shave soap? I'm wavering between trying this or going the soy wax 415 route. I'm tinkering with a stearic acid, coconut oil, tallow recipe with glycerin and kokum and use KOH.

Second question: after all that reading, nowhere did I see mention of using pine tar in shave soap. Would this be best to use as an additive after the cook or added with the oils? Any percentage recommendations?

Thanks

Personally, I wouldn't use pine tar in shave soap. It has a high amount of unsaponifiables and could create drag. If you absolutely must use it, don't go over 5% and add it up front with your other oils. You want that sticky stuff to saponify as much as possible.

Ok, pine tar is a request from son whom I'm doing this for; he likes my pine tar soap. So with oils and keep percentages low.

Ok, keep tar percentage low and add with oils. The pine tar request is from my son; he likes my pine tar soap. I wonder if there's a "pine tar" fragrance out there that would satisfy his nose.

Sorry about the double post.

(Post merged)

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back