Shave Soap: Stearic vs. Palmitic

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're asking me? You're the one who posted it above. Amazon, of course.
My bad, I thought you were talking about modifying an existing frother to make it more powerful. Oh well, I can dream...

I might be a little uncomfortable mixing undissolved lye into oils hoping they hook up properly w the glycerine. That really works huh?
Oh no, please don't do that! The lye will not dissolve that way.

First, I dissolve all my KOH first in an equal amount of distilled water.
Then I mix into my oils all of the remaining liquid for my recipe, in the form of glycerin.
Then I combine the KOH solution with the oil/glycerin solution.

Hope that clarifies.

My bad, I thought you were talking about modifying an existing frother to make it more powerful. Oh well, I can dream...

The ad you posted said the frother in question has an 'upgraded titanium engine'
sounds cool rite
Oh no, please don't do that! The lye will not dissolve that way.

First, I dissolve all my KOH first in an equal amount of distilled water.
Then I mix into my oils all of the remaining liquid for my recipe, in the form of glycerin.
Then I combine the KOH solution with the oil/glycerin solution.

Hope that clarifies.
No, that's what I thought you said.
When i responded,"...mixing undissolved lye into oils hoping they hook up properly w the glycerine...", I was assuming the lye couldn't have been completely dissolved in the water.
Doesn't it take a long time to mix KOH completely into solution using just pure water?
It's much more difficult than NaOH, yea, which I can easily get into solution without a stickblender?
So u divide your liquid portions in two and only use one for mixing in the lye?
Seems to me the withholding part of the liquid content would make it more difficult to dissolve the lye. I need every bit of liquid Im allowed by my lye calc to get potash into solution.
I guess I don't understand.

I buy the least expensive one I can find because I was taught to simply pulse and stir - I do not use my immersion blender to bring my batches to trace.
What are you pulsing if you're not using an immersion blender? You use a milk frother?
You're saying you bring solid or liquid soap to trace without an immersion blender?
I wouldnt want to do it but can imagine conceivably making bar soap without an immersion blender by doing a lot of stirring, but not sure how I would try making liquid soap without a stick blender.
My LS method requires so much power from my immersion blender that I had to upgrade it, twice; first to 1000 watt All Clad then eventually to 1 horsepower Kitchen Aid.

No, that's what I thought you said.
When i responded,"...mixing undissolved lye into oils hoping they hook up properly w the glycerine...", I was assuming the lye couldn't have been completely dissolved in the water.
Doesn't it take a long time to mix KOH completely into solution using just pure water?
It's much more difficult than NaOH, yea, which I can easily get into solution without a stickblender?
So u divide your liquid portions in two and only use one for mixing in the lye?
Seems to me the withholding part of the liquid content would make it more difficult to dissolve the lye. I need every bit of liquid Im allowed by my lye calc to get potash into solution.
I guess I don't understand.
Hmmm. I have no trouble dissolving KOH in an equal amount of room temp water. It stirs right in and quickly dissolves, making lots of crackling and hissing sounds along the way.

However, if I try to dissolve KOH in glycerine, that definitely takes extra heat and lots of stirring. It also has the potential for releasing more toxic fumes than mixing with water.

That's why I choose to dissolve KOH in plain distilled water, rather than water mixed with glycerine, or just glycerine.

Hmmm. I have no trouble dissolving KOH in an equal amount of room temp water. It stirs right in and quickly dissolves, making lots of crackling and hissing sounds along the way.

However, if I try to dissolve KOH in glycerine, that definitely takes extra heat and lots of stirring. It also has the potential for releasing more toxic fumes than mixing with water.

That's why I choose to dissolve KOH in plain distilled water, rather than water mixed with glycerine, or just glycerine.
That's good to know. The glycerin is for helping the lye solution incorporate into the OILS, rather than the lye. Got it. Thanks for straightening me out on that point.

Last edited:
I have never found any mini blenders on their site, only 7" shaft or longer, which is the size regularly available in big box stores and on Amazon. Would love a link if you have found something smaller than that. Thanks!

Edit: for instance, they call this one for $579 a "mini" stickblender. Well, it may be "mini" compared to the other commercial blenders, but it has the same 8" shaft as the non-commercial stickblenders that one can find for less than $50 on Amazon. Yes, the commercial one has a more powerful motor, but one doesn't need that for small-batch soapmaking.
7" is def too long? I was noticing Webstraunt Store has some nice sub $350 options on the 7" commercial grade immersion blenders, like this one for $335 https://www.webstaurantstore.com/robot-coupe-mmp160vv-7-mini-immersion-blender/649MMP160VV.html

The KitchenAid I used yest is several inches longer and would've loved to've been using a 7 inch...

7" is def too long? I was noticing Webstraunt Store has some nice sub $350 options on the 7" commercial grade immersion blenders, like this one for $335 https://www.webstaurantstore.com/robot-coupe-mmp160vv-7-mini-immersion-blender/649MMP160VV.html

The KitchenAid I used yest is several inches longer and would've loved to've been using a 7 inch...
Hey there, been a minute since we've seen ya!

Yes, I already have 7" and 8" stickblenders. I would love a powered mini one - maybe 3-4" long? - that isn't just a glorified milk frother. :)

Of course you have 7 & 8 inchers. U prob forgot more about soap than i ever knew.
Yea I been crazy busy. Made enough soap by the end of last March tho that I don't have to worry about Xmas soap cure times, but 'bout time to start thinking about whooping up some more soap. Trying to learn hp now, for bars. Screwed one up real good yest but it managed to pour anyway, thank God.
W hp we just blow right past trace n I'm not sure if I need to blend it to, or past, the oatmeal stage. Yest I blended all the way thru the oatmeal stage before adding solvents and fluidity enhancers like water, which the author of my book says is a chemical and also that i have to always use sodium lactate and preservatives and sugar and yogurt, or i'll get hit by lightening.

IIRC, you have a commercial-sized SB which I've always wanted but cannot in any way justify. But I have put an All-Clad on my Christmas list. Hubby and I both like tools so gift-giving is easy. There is always another tool to add to the collection! His are for construction, tho.

I'm curious, do you have the Sharon Johnson Fluid HP e-book, or maybe Ultimate HP Soap by Ashley Green? I learned things from both of them but much more from Ashley.

IIRC, you have a commercial-sized SB which I've always wanted but cannot in any way justify. But I have put an All-Clad on my Christmas list. Hubby and I both like tools so gift-giving is easy. There is always another tool to add to the collection! His are for construction, tho.

I'm curious, do you have the Sharon Johnson Fluid HP e-book, or maybe Ultimate HP Soap by Ashley Green? I learned things from both of them but much more from Ashley.
I only have the Ashley Green books. Haven't heard of the Sharon Johnson one yet. Prob need to read it.
I have the 1000w All Clad sb, but using it for 145 oz oils hp ls batches didn't leave much room for error, esp in winter. I still use the All Clad for cp soap and little stuff tho, even tho the blending head stick thing won't twist off anymore for cleaning.
Considering how much ls we go thru as a family i think the cost is justifiable. It would cost a fortune to buy that much ls commercially. **** schools should teach kids how to make soap...
I wouldn't want to have tried making that hp batch i made yest w the All Clad. It was pretty intense. The KitchenAid was pretty hot by the time i was done but i suspect i blended it way too long and should've occasionally used my whisk. And forgot to let it "recover" after expansion.
Commercial-grade SBs pretty important for HP soapmaking. I don't like spending my time making small batches and also small batches are more dangerous bc easier to splatter than a full 8 quart stock pot. Also I'm a man and just basically like power tools so will absolutely justify them in any way necessary :)

My All-Clad just kicked the bucket when I was melting some paste for 307 oz total ls, inc water.
Not only could I not twist the stick off for cleaning, but to get the sb to completely turn it off i had to remove the electrical cord from the socket.
I tried to finish up w my 1 hp KitchenAid, up but it was way too powerful and shot ls all over the kitchen.
I just purchased the 2/5 hp Robot Coupe MMP190VV Mini 8" Variable Speed sb. I hope i like it.
It was significantly more expensive than the KitchenAid.
Looking around my Webstraunt account I see my KitchenAid sb is only 1/2 hp, rather than a full pony, & the price on that sb went up $27 from when I purchased it in October of just last year.

Latest posts

Back