Shave soap makes a great facial soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IrishLass

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I don't know why it never occurred to me before that the shave soap that I make for my hubby might double as a great facial soap, but as it turns out, it makes for the perfect facial soap!

Normally, I don't use any soap on my face at all- just plain water and a facial cloth has carried me through perfectly fine for the past 20+ years or so to get my face clean, but thanks to the influence of my lovely niece who is a make-up enthusiast/guru/enabler, I recently set aside my usual light-coverage foundation to experiment with a more full-coverage/all-day foundation- which as it turns out I absolutely love for how very little of it that I need to apply for a natural, flawless look that lasts me all day- but it takes a bit more than just plain water to wash it off at night in spite of the very small amount I apply (half of what's recommended, maybe even a little less than that, actually). I guess they're not kidding when they say 24-hour coverage. lol

Anyway, to remove it, I've tried a couple of different cleansing products which got it all off fine, but each left my face feeling irritated because of the extra friction needed that my face is not used to . Then it dawned on me three days ago to try the shave soap/croap I make for my hubby, which he raves about for being so gentle and non-drying to his face.

Verdict? My face likes it! I lather it up and gently smear it around all over my face with my hands and then press a warm, wet wash cloth over my face and gently dab off. No rubbing/friction needed and no redness/irritation.

I may have made it for my man, but this here lass likes it, too!

IrishLass :)

Interesting! Ive used my shave soap that I made for my boys on my legs and love how it feels but never thought about using it on my face! Good idea - I hope I like it as much as you do. I changed a while ago to cleaning and moisturizing oils for my face which BTW Im in love with! Because I never found the right thing for my sensitive skin on my face. I like to stay on the more natural side of things and the store bought facial cleaners had too much crap in them for my liking . Ill try this! Thanks

Last edited:
Irish Lass,
That is very interesting.
Do you use songwind or LBussy's recipe your shaving soap recipe?
I think you use 20% glycerine too don't you?

I now have KOH so only need the stearic acid to try this.

Very interesting! I am going to make shaving soap and try it on my face for sensitive dry skin. Thank you IL for sharing.

Latest posts

Back