shampoo bar?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vineladysoaps68

Reaction score
:D hello, i have been making hp. soap in my crock pot for 8 months now.
i am having fun . does any one have a recipe for a shampoo bar?

I haven't made one yet (probably will this week), but here is a recipe I have in my files

Tropical Shampoo Bar
3 lb cold, Distilled Water
500 grams Sodium Hydroxide
2 lb Olive Oil (25%)
1 lb 8 oz Castor Oil (19%)
8 oz Sweet Almond Oil (6%)
4 oz Jojoba Oil (3%)
4 oz Kukui Oil (3%)
2 lb Coconut Oil (25%)
1 lb 8 oz Palm Oil (19%)

hp in crock pot?

Can you please tell me where to learn more about this? I'm new here. Thank you.

O.K. I found the Hot process information.

I tried making some the other day with this:

10% avocado oil
10% cocoa butter
10% shea butter
15% coconut oil
25% olive oil
15% castor oil
5% jojoba
10% grapeseed oil

at 5% superfat

One I did plain CP, then I did a second batch HP and back-adjusted the pH with citric acid solution to neutral, just to see if it would work (I've heard people say that shampoo bars are bad for your hair because of the high pH). The pH 7 HP soap did in fact suds just fine, but I had to add so much water with the citric acid that they're going to need a couple months to dry out properly before I can really tell if my hair likes one or the other better.

When I make another batch I'll use less types of oils... I went a little overboard. :)

Norai said:
I tried making some the other day with this:

10% avocado oil
10% cocoa butter
10% shea butter
15% coconut oil
25% olive oil
15% castor oil
5% jojoba
10% grapeseed oil

at 5% superfat

One I did plain CP, then I did a second batch HP and back-adjusted the pH with citric acid solution to neutral, just to see if it would work (I've heard people say that shampoo bars are bad for your hair because of the high pH). The pH 7 HP soap did in fact suds just fine, but I had to add so much water with the citric acid that they're going to need a couple months to dry out properly before I can really tell if my hair likes one or the other better.

When I make another batch I'll use less types of oils... I went a little overboard. :)

You can't adjust CP soap back to neutral. The oils will come out of suspension and all you'll be left with is a slimey, oily mess. How are you checking the pH level? pH strips are notorious for being wrong on soap. Normal soap should have a pH of about 9 to 10.5. The way to deal with a high pH soap on hair is to follow the soap with a mild apple cider vinegar rinse. This brings the hair's pH back to normal, closes down the cuticle of the hair and brings a shine to it.

Shrug, it seemed to work out fine. There was some precipitation when I was adding the citric acid solution (to the surface it splashed on), but when I stirred it in it was fine. It made a reasonable bar of soap that was a little soft, but it still needs to air dry for a few weeks anyway.

Like I said, it lathered like normal soap. I have used this bar to wash my hair despite it being soft, and it washed my hair like any other bar of soap I've tried. It managed to get the coconut oil that I used on my hair out, so it does still seem to have cleansing abilities.

And for testing the pH, I added the citric acid solution in increments, and checked with pH strips after each addition (letting it sit for 5-10 min in between increments hoping it would even itself out more). I let it "cook" on "warm" setting in the slow cooker after the last addition and stirred it a bunch to try to get it all in evenly.

I tested it with 2 different strips, a pH 1-14 and a pH 4.6 - 6.2. It seemed to read accurately, since it read at about 10 before I added the acid, then ended up at 7 later on. I took a little piece out and squished it around with some distilled water, then rubbed the pH strip to the wet surface.

And yes, I do use a white vinegar rinse. This was just a test-batch for kicks, to see what would happen. Hence doing a normal CP batch too.

Latest posts

Back