Shampoo bar & soy wax

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pleiades

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has tried soy wax in a shampoo bar?

Nut allergies rule out coconut and I never use palm or animal based oils. Wondering how to improve the hardness of the bar... I've not even thought of other benefits or disadvantages. Anyone?

What other ingredients are you using?
I personally wouldn't use a shampoo bar with soy wax. I would be inclined to use stearic acid to add hardness if you don't already have it in your recipe. My regular suppliers use plant based stearic acid, I haven't seen one yet that has animal sourced so this would be inline with your not wishing to use animal based oils.

You say you have nut allergies that rules out coconut oil, does that include babassu oil? It's slightly more expensive but is often the accepted replacement for CO.

Babassu is out but I can use Shea. So thinking about Shea, avocado or olive and castor. Just need something to help with the hardness of the bar

What about rice bran oil? Avocado is good for hardness and mildness as a minority oil, but kills lather as a majority oil. Rice bran oil is rumored to be more bubbly and less slimy than Olive, and I gather from the short list of ingredients that your high-Oleic oil of choice will have to be the majority.

I’ll give rice bran oil a try, I’m really not tied to any oils.. other than they have to be vegan and no coconut oil ... a challenge in itself.... thank you

Are you making a syndet bar or a soap bar for shampoo? Having tried soap on my hair I wouldn’t recommend it myself but others on forum do. Just wondering ya know 🤔
It's a contentious subject I know... I'd like to make a soap bar that can be used on hair that fits with my vegan profile but which also suits the increasing number of people I'm meeting who are allergic to coconut. I've lots of oils to hand that I can try - maybe just a long cure as with a 100% olive oil soap.

It's a contentious subject I know... I'd like to make a soap bar that can be used on hair that fits with my vegan profile but which also suits the increasing number of people I'm meeting who are allergic to coconut. I've lots of oils to hand that I can try - maybe just a long cure as with a 100% olive oil soap.
Good luck.

Without CO, PKO, or Babassu, I would recommend keeping the longevity relatively low. Most high-Oleic oils can lather ok as single-oil soaps*, but If you raise the longevity too much, you may effectively kill the lather.

*Except avocado oil. Avocado oil gives virtually no lather as a single-oil soap.

OP hasn't mentioned percentages, but I ran some numbers:
RBO 83%
Shea 10%
Castor 7%
Would give 19% Palmitic, 6% Stearic, total 25%

RBO 88%
Castor 7%
Soy wax 5%
Would give 20% Palmitic, 7% Stearic, total 27%

Palmitic (from RBO) is a little more soluble than Stearic(from Shea and Soy wax), but I'm not sure I would go that much higher than this with Shea or Soy wax.

High levels of RBO might be prone to DOS though.
I don't think there are a lot of options that aren't though, and I know some soapers use RBO practically as a bastille. It could be an Olive/RBO split for the Oleic, I suppose. But castor oil, Shea butter, soy wax, and avocado oil all make terrible majority-oil soaps.
ETA: I'm assuming a 2-3% SF for this, which increase lather and lower the odds of DOS.

High levels of RBO might be prone to DOS though.
I don't think there are a lot of options that aren't though, and I know some soapers use RBO practically as a bastille. It could be an Olive/RBO split for the Oleic, I suppose. But castor oil, Shea butter, soy wax, and avocado oil all make terrible majority-oil soaps.
ETA: I'm assuming a 2-3% SF for this, which increase lather and lower the odds of DOS.

I've heard that RBO at high levels leads to DOS as well, but anecdotally, I have a 100% RBO soap now going on 8 months cure (I think the superfat was 1% but maybe as high as 2%, I don't have my notes with me) that is DOS free. Additionally, it was made with oil that was a year from it's purchase date, so it was riskier than normal. It's a very nice soap!

We have a very long shampoo thread here, the first post contains a popular recipe that also makes a very nice facial soap.

I personally replace the soy oil with avocado as I don't use soy.
Its not a super hard bar but it lasts a decent amount of time and actually lathers fairly well.

I no longer use soap on my hair, it all broke off due to the high PH and I highly recommend that others not use it either.

I've heard that RBO at high levels leads to DOS as well, but anecdotally, I have a 100% RBO soap now going on 8 months cure (I think the superfat was 1% but maybe as high as 2%, I don't have my notes with me) that is DOS free. Additionally, it was made with oil that was a year from it's purchase date, so it was riskier than normal. It's a very nice soap!

None of my RBO Soap has turned to DOS either. My 100% RBO soaps made in July 2017 are still as pristine as the day they were packaged in smell-through shrink wrap, and as pristine as the day they were unmolded and as the day they were beveled.

Back