Shampoo Bar Question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cally

Reaction score
I realize that a shampoo bar recipe is one that nobody wants to give away, but with as protective as people are I'm having trouble finding information. Right now I am using just Castile soap on my hair, but I would like to tailor it a little more to my needs. I have ordered a little bit of almond oil and some neem (for dandruff) but I really don't know what ratio to use them at, or what other oils would be good for shampoo bars. I also don't know what kind of qualities I should be looking for. As I only plan on using this for myself I'm not adverse to shea or cocoa butters or other more expensive ingredients being involved but anything rare might be hard to come by for me.

My second question is tea tree oil. For the dandruff fighting properties it has, would it be better I. The shampoo bar or in the vinegar rinse?

As always any help is greatly appreciated.

Lots of castor will help with lather.

I don't know for sure but I think the TT would be better in the shampoo bar itself as you'll be working it into the scalp.

My 20% castor oil soap makes a pretty good shampoo bar. The rest of my oils are nothing fancy, I recently asked for neem recommendations and most stated between 5-10% for soap.

here is mine I HP

shampoo bar

Coconut Oil 9.73oz 21.74%
Lard 9.73oz 21.74%
Olive Oil 9.73oz 21.74% (rosemary infused)
Castor Oil 5.84oz 13.04%
Cocoa Butter 4.87oz 10.87%
Shea Butter 4,87oz 10.87%

lye 6.18oz
green tea 14.41oz
1 tablespoon sugar in the tea as well

I use a similar recipe for shampoo bars that I found on http://www.frugallysustainable.com, I love it. I use the hot process crock method (3.5 quart pot) for shampoo bars and the following recipe that I have modified slightly.
Shampoo Bars
9 oz. coconut oil
9 oz oilve oil
5 oz castor oil
3 oz jojoba oil ( I used Calendula oil, and whan I run out, just 3 more oz. oilve oil or vegetable oil)
2 oz shea butter
2 oz cocoa butter
1 oz beeswax
10 oz distilled water (she uses 4 oz water and 6 oz. coconut milk)
4 oz lye
You can use a herbal infusion in the oil or water (tea), I like to add the essential oils/dry herbs after cooking so they do not scorch.
I have added Tea Tree oil, but the first time I did not add enough, I only put 20 drops. Play around with it or ask someone more experienced. Have fun!

SHAMPOO.BARS.TEA.TREE.ROOBIOS.USE.300.237.JPG

Just want to report back, that the one suggested by Relle (Soap Queen's recipe) works great for my normal color treated hair.

http://www.soapqueen.com/bath-and-body- ... mpoo-bars/

I like it because it is so simple. The only modification I made was I used 3% tea tree, 1% peppermint instead of all tea tree. Made it two weeks ago, did sort of a CPOP, just took an end piece because I cannot wait to try.

Will be a good kid and let the remaining 10 bars cure for another 4 - 6 weeks.

Back