Shampoo Bar Question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
debbism said:
I think thinner hair just doesn't like CP shampoo bars but my customers with thicker coarser hair just can't get enough of them so it just depends on your hair type. Syndet bars are pretty simple to make once you get your recipe down and there are some really great mild and safe surfactants to choose from.

That being said, my best recipes for shampoo bars use about 30-35% coconut or palm, 15-20% castor and the rest a light soft oil.

Ya know- your right. Every time I see people who love cp soap in their hair, it's thicker coarser curly even. I have fine thin hair so it just doesn't agree with me. I did give it a valiant effort though. LOL

DanaR said:
If you're looking for a non-shampoo-bar solution, try "Conditioner Only" washing.

Get a cheap conditioner (like V05, Suave, etc) and bring in 2-3 tablespoons to the shower. Apply to your scalp only and gently massage into your scalp.

Take a few handfulls of water and gently work those through (like you were shampooing). Do that a few more times until you get light suds and "hear" your hair squeak a little.

RINSE like mad (I gently massage for the first 10 seconds), I got for about a minute, but I'm trying to get out all the conditioner scent too. I have very fine hair, so your mileage may vary.

I've found that method to be VERY gentle on my hair. I only use a VERY small amount of shampoo one a week or so to get any buildup out.

This isn't something I came up with, I found it on LongHairCommunity's web site, and thousands have had great success with it.

If it doesn't sound like your kind of thing, just ignore. ;)

*****DO NOT use V05 in your hair, it is THE WORST thing for it.******

I have been a cosmetologist for 20 years. If you use OTC shampoo the best to use is Suave or TRESeme'. TRESeme' used to be a professional shampoo/conditioner.

2-in-1 shampoos are also not good for the hair, they have A LOT of alkaline in them. The same as volumizing shampoo, and dandruff shampoo, which is where the "bounce" comes from. More or less it's like putting permanent wave solution on your hair each time you shampoo.

Your breakage is not caused by shampoo or conditioner. Breakage only occurs if you put your hair up a lot (wearing in ponytail) or pinned, or you use tools, such as blow dryer and irons, or if you wear hats.

A Clarifying shampoo is used to strip things from your hair. They are recommended for swimmers because it will get out the chlorine. But it must be kept on the head for a minimum of 5 minutes in order to work. Reapply after the 1st rinse.

If you have color treated hair Clarifying, volumizing, dandruff and 2-in-1 shampoos will strip the hair of it's color, regardless if it's a semi perm color or permanent color. The color will become dingy a lot faster and you will need to have it touched up sooner.

youreapima2 said:
*****DO NOT use V05 in your hair, it is THE WORST thing for it.******

I have been a cosmetologist for 20 years. If you use OTC shampoo the best to use is Suave or TRESeme'. TRESeme' used to be a professional shampoo/conditioner.

2-in-1 shampoos are also not good for the hair, they have A LOT of alkaline in them. The same as volumizing shampoo, and dandruff shampoo, which is where the "bounce" comes from. More or less it's like putting permanent wave solution on your hair each time you shampoo.

Your breakage is not caused by shampoo or conditioner. Breakage only occurs if you put your hair up a lot (wearing in ponytail) or pinned, or you use tools, such as blow dryer and irons, or if you wear hats.

A Clarifying shampoo is used to strip things from your hair. They are recommended for swimmers because it will get out the chlorine. But it must be kept on the head for a minimum of 5 minutes in order to work. Reapply after the 1st rinse.

If you have color treated hair Clarifying, volumizing, dandruff and 2-in-1 shampoos will strip the hair of it's color, regardless if it's a semi perm color or permanent color. The color will become dingy a lot faster and you will need to have it touched up sooner.

I personally don't use VO5, I DO use Suave, but a lot of long-haired ladies disagree and LOVE VO5 (they use it just on their scalp). You didn't specify WHY it's bad for your hair or what it does to it? But considering that long-haired ladies (at least on LongHairCommunity.com) are VERY protective of their hair and do ANYTHING to keep it healthy and safe, I can't imagine that V)5 would be that bad for it, or the word would spread on that forum and people would be avoiding it like the plague. Perhaps it's how they are applying it to their hair vs. how it is intended for use?

I also don't really get "breakage", my hair just falls out in the shower (full strands) and it only seems to do it when I use shampoo. If I use a conditioner to "shampoo" with, I get little to no hairs falling out.

Sorry to derail the thread! :)

I'm glad to know to steer clear of CP bars for my hair, my hair seems way too thin to even attempt!

I made a shampoo bar using Swifts recipe and although it's slightly soft I absolutely love it, I will most definitely make another one..

Latest posts

Back