Separation?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ganiggle

Reaction score
Okay so my second batch is down stairs in the molds. It hasn't been quite 24 hours yet. I just went to check on them and noticed a very tiny layer of what seems like oil resting on the tops of the bars in the mold. It's a very tiny layer, maybe one or two millimeters. I'm assuming that it's the grapeseed oil that I added at trace.

Could I take some tissue and just remove the excess from the top?

What should I do?

Just leave it, it will probably soak back into the soap. If there was a lot I would say that you would probably have to rebatch your soap, but since its just a little, it will soak back in. Is the rest of the soap set up?

ChrissyB said:
Just leave it, it will probably soak back into the soap. If there was a lot I would say that you would probably have to rebatch your soap, but since its just a little, it will soak back in. Is the rest of the soap set up?

If set up means that when I tilt the mold the rest of the soap doesn't move, then yes.

If not, how do I tell if it is set up?

LJA said:
Yeah, you should be good, G. This has happened to me a few times. Usually, it soaks in a couple of days.

What a relief! I thought I had crapped it up for sure! I'll have to see how it looks in a few days. If it looks good I'll be a very happy camper.

((goes to check right now))

ACK still there. hehehe

Kitn said:
Is it still there ? Inquiring minds need to know.

kitn

The layer of oil is gone! However, the soap itself looks a little weird. there is little areas of the soap that are darker, like almost an orangey brown. I'm wondering if maybe the cocoa powder stained the oatmeal bits?

Latest posts

Back