Sensitive to olive oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bombus

Reaction score
I have heard back from a new group of testers. They have tried a castile,
and two of them did not like the soap because it irritated their skin. The batch was not lye heavy, all of the other testers were very impressed with the conditioning of the bar, except, because they live with very hard water, they didn't get much lather.

These two women are mother and daughter living in the same house. So I'm wondering- do they have unique water, or do they share genes that cause very sensitive skin.

If their skin was bothered by 100%- no coloring or scent added- what will they be able to use?

I had one other tester who said that the castile burned like a son-of-a-gun. He had an active case of poison oak- I'm guessin that the basic lather caused some irritation to his (scratched) rash. But these ladies had unbroken skin, and no known allergies- any ideas?

i dislike OO soaps for the same reason. they make me feel dry and itchy and my skin feels stripped of oils. i want to bathe in lotion after i have dried off after using a castile.

i don't know why but that is just how my skin is. i can use a lard and co bar with no problem but the OO is "harsh" to me...

Try them on a different single oil soap, (I'd recommend lard or tallow because I rather like those as single oil soaps. Personal preference) that will tell you if its that soap, or all soap, so to speak. That tells you if its an olive oil issue.

At what level were they superfatted?

You know, I once thought castiles would be the answer to my dry-skin prayers. But they are still soap... so maybe expectations were too high?

krissy said:
i dislike OO soaps for the same reason. they make me feel dry and itchy and my skin feels stripped of oils. i want to bathe in lotion after i have dried off after using a castile.

i don't know why but that is just how my skin is. i can use a lard and co bar with no problem but the OO is "harsh" to me...

Wow! I thought the only negatives about castile were the lack of fluffy lather and the slime. Never thought it could really irritate. Good to know.

Deb said:
Try them on a different single oil soap, (I'd recommend lard or tallow because I rather like those as single oil soaps. Personal preference) that will tell you if its that soap, or all soap, so to speak. That tells you if its an olive oil issue.

Good idea, Deb. I haven't tried using those oils by themselves. That will have to be the next batch I make.

carebear said:
At what level were they superfatted?

You know, I once thought castiles would be the answer to my dry-skin prayers. But they are still soap... so maybe expectations were too high?

I'm not home this week to check my notebook, but I usually SF at 7-8%.
That's something to look at.

I seem to have the same problem with 100% olive oil soaps that haven't been aged for a long time, burns & stings me. Perhaps put some away and try it on the ladies in a year or so. I can use just about anything else.

What sort of olive oil was it? Extra Virgin, Normal or Pomace?

Bubbles Galore said:
I seem to have the same problem with 100% olive oil soaps that haven't been aged for a long time, burns & stings me. Perhaps put some away and try it on the ladies in a year or so. I can use just about anything else.

What sort of olive oil was it? Extra Virgin, Normal or Pomace?

Hi Bubbles- it was Costco's regular. Those bars were about 2 months old, since they didn't use them much, maybe I'll ask them to tuck them away & then remind them to try again next year. Now, that will be an interesting experiment!

Back