Seizing and other Strange reactions to my aniseed EO

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lotus

Reaction score
A week ago, I tried to make a "Black Licorice" soap. I used black oxide, got to a beautiful light trace, and as soon as I added the aniseed EO (from Essential Depot), it seized. I found a somewhat recent thread here on a similar situation, and realized from the responses that maybe I was soaping too hot (around 115-120F). So, today, I tried it again, and soaped at 90F). Granted it was a slightly different recipe, this time. But, I had just successfully poured another from the same recipe an hour prior, so the recipe is not likely at fault.

This time, it turned gritty and separated (much like curdled cream, it's like coffee grounds in oil), as soon as I added the EO.

I've now depleted my supply of aniseed. But, does anyone know why the anise is causing this? I've never heard of that. And, obviously it works quite well for some people.

I have pictures. The black is what happened today, the red is the earlier pour with the same recipe different EOs.

photo 1-1.jpg

photo 2-1.jpg

photo 3-1.jpg

Last edited:
I've never used anise EO so I'm not familiar with how it behaves in soap, but since I've started adding my EO's and FO's (I also add any other ingredients ..clays,TD,etc.. And I give it a good stick blend) to the melted oils and then slowly pour in my lye mixture as I hand whisk.. I've had no trouble with super quick trace, ricing or seizing.

Sent from my iPhone using Soap Making

I would suggest using a different supplier for EOs. Sorry you had to go through that =(

Sent from my XT907 using Soap Making mobile app

Lotus maybe you can contact ED and see if they had complaints from anyone else with this particular EO. ED may not reimburse you but it may help solve the mystery. I've never used that EO from them or anyone else so sorry I can't help.

I have never had anise misbehave on me. I soap at 110-120.

However, I have heard that the quality of the ED EO's is very variable and other soapers have had problems. They may have QC issues. You might want to call them and see if they will make it right.

I make an anise soap too, I make it the same as all my soap, I have never seen that before, ever..

Maybe try a different vendor for you eo. But just soaped with anise this weekend and it really accelerated on me. Turned out fine thou just couldn't get the coloring I was going for. And personally I hate black licorice so I wanted to puke the entire time working with it. Making in molding and cutting yuck... Hubby likes it for some reason thou. The things we do for our spouses......

Sent from my iPhone using Soap Making

Oh, thank you guys. I will indeed contact them to let them know. And I'll use a different supplier.

They do say you either love it or hate it, Bobbie. Weird, right?

Latest posts

Back