Seeking the SUPER CREAMY magic ingredient

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Goat Lady

Reaction score
I'm addicted to creamy. I'm told my fresh goat's milk soap is indeed creamy, but I just got back from a hotel, and the commercial 'facial bar' there was so creamy it made me want to cry. If only I could do that!

My recipes which include Honey (at trace) seem creamier than those without. Those that gel are more bubbly, less creamy.

I'd love to hear your tips. My recipe is pretty straight-forward:

Olive Oil -- 48%
Coconut Oil -- 32%
Crisco -- 20%

Goat's Milk
Lye (at 5% discount)

At trace:
Honey (1.5%)
Rosemary (0.5% to prevent rancidity)

I like 100% GM for creamy but my all time favorite bar that I am in love with has Yogurt.

ditto on the yogurt, and also buttermilk! i use whole-fat buttermilk when i can find it, at half my liquid at trace. for yogurt i use plain greek yogurt -- creamy indeed!

I use half whipping cream and half aloe juice. Fryja sent me a bar of her buttermilk soap and it has wonderful lather - creamy and bubbly. So I'd say you should also try buttermilk.

Did you keep the label from the commercial soap? What ingredients did it have?

I know alot of people won't have it but, using lard in your recipe can also make a creamier bar. Maybe you could try a small test batch using a little lard, heavy cream and honey (no gel) because I don't think there is one magic ingredient but a combination of ingredients.

Do you guys actually use yogurt as part of the liquid or do you add some at trace? This seems like a fun thing to try. Thanks
I do notice a difference when I use coconut milk, I add at trace and do a 50/50 discount.

I did a tallow bar with coconut milk and oh my word, soooo much creamier with more lather and bubbles than the lard or palm bars. I love tallow. It's totally worth the hell I went through to render it all :D

Also wondering about the yoghurt, having just come the grocery store with a container of full fat plain yoghurt!! I assume people treat it as a liquid and do a 50% water 50% yoghurt, with yoghurt added at trace. I can't see being able to add lye to it.

Wow, I totally need to try this!! Pay day can't come soon enough...heavy milk and yogurt are now on the raw materials list.

kittywings said:
I always heard that cow's milk bars smelled funky!

!
Only when the soap is very fresh. The funky smell disappears during the cure period.

Just want to make sure I've got this right...to add whole-fat buttermilk/greek yogurt/heavy cream, I only use half the amount of water in my lye mixture (plus enough, if nescessary, the equal the lye amount), then add the creamy stuff at trace? Have I got it right??

cerelife said:
Just want to make sure I've got this right...to add whole-fat buttermilk/greek yogurt/heavy cream, I only use half the amount of water in my lye mixture (plus enough, if nescessary, the equal the lye amount), then add the creamy stuff at trace? Have I got it right??
That's one of the ways that you can do it.

What kind of goat's milk are you using. What makes the creaminess is the fat content. For my goat's milk I use the condensed goat's milk and no water. But my creamiest soap is my heavy cream no water.

I use fresh whole goat's milk as all the liquid content. I just bought a cream separator, and after reading how some of you add cream at trace, I will now try to separate, use whole milk as the first part of the liquid and add more cream at trace. I'll report back in a few weeks!

I didn't realize you could add proteins at trace. I would worry about it going rancid, but I'll give it a shot.

In trying my samples over the past few months, I also think those with a tablespoon of honey (5 lb recipe) at trace are creamier, too.

I've seen yoghurt, heavy cream, goats milk, buttermilk, coconut milk and condensed milk mentioned. Has anyone ever soaped with sour cream? Just curious if it would add the same creamy quality.

Latest posts

Back