Searching for help with recipe called "Psoriasis Soap For Mom"

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marie

Reaction score
??!! I copied a recipe back in 2002 titled "Psoriasis Soap For Mom". I am wondering if anyone in soapland has seen this recipe or tried it?? It sounds good to me but the oil to liquid amounts seem totally crazy to me. Is it possible to use this much liquid content??!! In my soap calc, if I adjust my water amount for aloe and EO, I end up with 34.65 water, not the recipe amount of 44 oz. To come close to this recipe, I would have to not adjust my water amount by about 9 oz. Seems crazy!
Here goes:
Beeswax 2 oz
Castor 6 oz
Coconut 20 oz
Cocoa Butter 8 oz
Grapeseed 6 oz
Safflower 6 oz
Olive 40 oz
Palm Kernel 20 oz
Shortening 32 oz
Shea 10 oz
Lye 20.2 oz Water 44 oz 8 oz aloe gel at trace 8 oz EO's 6% lye discount

Hi Marie! The below SoapCalc stats are what I ended up with when I typed the oil amounts, and then adjusted the Superfat % amount, the Lye Concentration % amount, and the Fragrance Ratio amount in order to end up with the stated 44 oz water, 20.2 oz lye and 8 oz of EO.

For what its worth, when adjusting the overall water amount of a recipe, the EO/FO amount should never be counted in as being a part of that (i.e., the water amount). It's always calculated as a stand-alone, "an addition to" type of ingredient either as per pound of oils or as per the total weight of the entire recipe.

In regard to aloe gel amount, it looked to me to be something that the author of the recipe didn't account for as being a part of the water amount, but rather as an "addition to" the recipe, however, when I adjusted the Lye Concentration % box to in order to account for the extra 8 oz of water-type liquid, I ended up with a Lye Concentration of roughly 27.98 %, which would be considered a "full water" amount for this particular recipe, which is actually right within the realm of sanity. :)

upload_2019-1-26_11-11-4.png

As an aside, I've never made nor heard of the recipe, but for what it's worth, it doesn't look like a recipe I personally would like to make for myself as it looks to be too low in conditioning in relation to the cleansing aspect for my liking.

IrishLass :)

Attachments

• upload_2019-1-26_10-56-51.png
    upload_2019-1-26_10-56-51.png
    300.6 KB · Views: 23
  • upload_2019-1-26_10-57-13.png
    upload_2019-1-26_10-57-13.png
    300.6 KB · Views: 19
Hi Marie! The below SoapCalc stats are what I ended up with when I typed the oil amounts, and then adjusted the Superfat % amount, the Lye Concentration % amount, and the Fragrance Ratio amount in order to end up with the stated 44 oz water, 20.2 oz lye and 8 oz of EO.

For what its worth, when adjusting the overall water amount of a recipe, the EO/FO amount should never be counted in as being a part of that (i.e., the water amount). It's always calculated as a stand-alone, "an addition to" type of ingredient either as per pound of oils or as per the total weight of the entire recipe.

In regard to aloe gel amount, it looked to me to be something that the author of the recipe didn't account for as being a part of the water amount, but rather as an "addition to" the recipe, however, when I adjusted the Lye Concentration % box to in order to account for the extra 8 oz of water-type liquid, I ended up with a Lye Concentration of roughly 27.98 %, which would be considered a "full water" amount for this particular recipe, which is actually right within the realm of sanity. :)

View attachment 35466

As an aside, I've never made nor heard of the recipe, but for what it's worth, it doesn't look like a recipe I personally would like to make for myself as it looks to be too low in conditioning in relation to the cleansing aspect for my liking.

IrishLass :)

Thanks so much Irish Lass for your assistance here. Well, I learned something right here about the FO/EO, as I typically adjust my water amount. I've been making soap for 2 decades, yet I am not always tech savy, for sure. I don't think I'll end up making this recipe as it seems weird to me with the high lye % and all the liquid. I think it is 'out of my reach'. Ha! It brings out all my soaping shortcomings!

If you aren't sure if a liquid should be included in the "water" for a soap recipe, see if the liquid will mix with real water or not. For example, EOs and FOs don't mix with water -- they remain as separate layers floating on or submerged below the water. So you wouldn't count EOs and FOs as part of the total water in a soap recipe. Aloe gel, on the other hand, does mix with water, so it would count as part of the total water for the recipe.

If you aren't sure if a liquid should be included in the "water" for a soap recipe, see if the liquid will mix with real water or not. For example, EOs and FOs don't mix with water -- they remain as separate layers floating on or submerged below the water. So you wouldn't count EOs and FOs as part of the total water in a soap recipe. Aloe gel, on the other hand, does mix with water, so it would count as part of the total water for the recipe.

Good tips, DeeAnna; thanks for this info.

Latest posts

Back