sea salt bars question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaggedrande

Reaction score
ok so I am going to take a stab at making salt bars, I am going to do a green tea as my liquid , not sure what eo I am going to do yet, I have read, and read , lots on salt bars, my question is I am going to do a 100 % of my oils, so a 3 pound loaf, but does it make 3 pounds in the end or does it double it to 6 pounds since you add in a lot of salt???? ( does that make sense) also does super fatting at 8% sound good??? oh and many people say cut between 2 - 4 hrs what do you usually wait???

you will be much better off with a 20% superfat, at least 75% coconut oil, then 25% oils or butter of your choice. I usually cut my oils 15-20% of my normal batch for my 5 lb molds, but I pile my salt bars really high in the mold to make 8 oz bars and give the bars handles to hold on to. It is to have a plan if you have extra batter left, and have an extra mold standing by. I usually use a brownie bite mold handy and pour the excess for samples that I sell. At 100% salt you will want to start checking for firmness at 45 minutes, if using a wood or hdpe mold. Silicone I am not sure but I know in my individual cavity silicone my salt bars do not harden as fast as in my hdpe molds. I usually do not wait over an hr to cut. Wear gloves because your lye will still be active. That is a do as I say, not as I do comment... I cut in 45 minutes, but I water discount so setup is quite fast. Good luck with your salt bars. They are my most favorite bars
You will eventually figure out how much oil to use versus salt. Will advise that you go higher with fo or it will get lost in the salt
Forgot to add do not use coarse salt. Fine sea salt is best and if you want a little exfoliation add in some fine oatmeal. Salt bars will almost become glassy feeling with fine sea salt. Course salt can cause cuts and abrasions, as can some medium salts. If you are going to use a medium salt please mix it with fine salt. I have seen people get some nasty cuts with coarse sea salt in bars. not my bars thank goodness...

Last edited:
I make my salt bars with 100% CO and super fat at 20%. I don't find that my batch really increases that much with salt added. I only once used a log mold and I didn't like how the bars looked after being cut. From that point on, I've used individual molds.

Sarah

When it comes to determining your mold size the salt will make the batch heavier, but will not double in volume based on the weight if that makes sense. You will have added weight as each bar will weigh more than a non salt bar of the same size because of the weight of the salt. Determining your mold size is a trial and error approach and will be affected by the amount of salt you add. If you are doing a loaf or slab, have some individual molds on the side for any excess.

One of the molds that I use (3x3x1 round) creates a 3.5 - 4 ounce bar of standard CP soap, but the same mold produces a 5.5 ounce bar of salt soap (60% salt per total oils).

When it comes to determining your mold size the salt will make the batch heavier, but will not double in volume based on the weight if that makes sense. You will have added weight as each bar will weigh more than a non salt bar of the same size because of the weight of the salt. Determining your mold size is a trial and error approach and will be affected by the amount of salt you add. If you are doing a loaf or slab, have some individual molds on the side for any excess.

One of the molds that I use (3x3x1 round) creates a 3.5 - 4 ounce bar of standard CP soap, but the same mold produces a 5.5 ounce bar of salt soap (60% salt per total oils).

My 5 lb molds fills to the top with 58-60 oz of oils,depending on my water discount. My salt bars fill quite high over the top using 50 oz of oil. I usually use 100-120% salt.

I make my salt bars with 100% CO and super fat at 20%. I don't find that my batch really increases that much with salt added. I only once used a log mold and I didn't like how the bars looked after being cut. From that point on, I've used individual molds.

Sarah

One of my favorite salt bars is my pumpkin salt bar that has 25% soft oils and butters along with gm, pumpkin puree, fine salt & fine oatmeal. It makes a fantastic glassy, high creamy lather bar with a tad of exfoliation. Canola and high oleic sunflower oil works great in salt bars

20% lard make for a nice salt bar too and if you want a bit of exfoliation, use real brand sea salt. It has bits of minerals in it that doesn't dissolve and its a pretty brownish pink.

Latest posts

Back