sea kelp in soap - residual scent?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

green soap

Reaction score
I have used sea kelp in 3 soap batches so far, I love the light speckled green look. It was used in soaps that have a coastal scent or ocean scent blend.

Let me be more precise on the sea kelp. What I used was wakame, which I soaked in filtered water for 15 minutes just as if I was going to made sunomono (Japanese sea weed salad). I took the hydrated sea vegetable and pureed it in my vitamix. Then I filled ice cube trays of this blended dark green paste. When I want to include it in soap I use about 40g of this mix in 900g soap (about 1 1/2 oz in 2 lb soap oils). This is 1 1/2 regular size ice cubes of sea kelp.

So now for my question. I want to make a soap for my unscented soap basket - use sea kelp an a few other nice for the skin ingredients. That amount gives a nice consistency and look, not sure about the skin benefits but the soap behaves. If I do not scent the soap, will it smell like sea weed? has anyone left a wakame soap unscented? what is the residual scent? pleasant or unpleasant? TIA for any input.

In my experience it takes a long time for sea kelp not to smell like a fish market and then one day it is just GONE. You are left with a real nice odor neutralizing soap. Or it could have been my imagination that it neutralized. I have a sensitive nose so everything stinks to me.

Thanks for your answer and it is your first post! wow, I am honored.

Yes, the fish market scent is what I was trying to avoid. Even though I love fish markets in their own right, just not in soap.

and welcome to the forum!

How perceptive greensoap. Yes, that was my first post. Thanks. I have been lurking and learning for a while. My most favorite soap was a re-milled soap with sea kelp added. It took months for my porch not to smell like a fish market, but it mellowed out to a very cool peppery scent that I have not been able to duplicate since. I LOVE that soap. I hoard the beautiful green wedges it is cut into and no one else gets to share them. The most important thing I have learned is, time cures all soap. Now, I never throw out anything I think is a dud. I just put it on the shelf and visit it again in 4-8 weeks.

I will do it then, it sounds nice and I cure my unscented soaps a long time anyway. I just cut an EO blend soap loaf with pureed soaked wakame and I love the pale mottled green. Thank you for your feedback! Did you use around 3/4 oz per lb of soap oils? or more?

When I am unsure I start with a teaspoon per pound of oils. I might have used a touch more but I do not recall. It was a re-batch so I was just winging it.

Back