Quantcast

Scrap soap with old fats

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

ilonaliss

Reaction score
I've got some old palm oil, mango butter 😢, OO pomace, and macadamia nut oil that I can't bear to throw away. I had the idea to make a sort of "scrap" soap with a high percentage of these oils for personal use as I don't mind DOS if it's just a cosmetic issue. Ideally, the soap will gentle and fast to cure, so that it can be used up ASAP. Would the below recipe work for my purposes? I should add that I will also be using the last of my clumpy lye in this recipe (not the clumps themselves), so I kept the SF low.

Attachments

AliOop

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I often do the same when I'm running low on one or more ingredients. Some of my best soaps have come about that way, and I think the recipe looks fine. It will probably move fast, so be ready to mix and pour. :)

TheGecko

Reaction score
I’ve done that before when I get down to the last of bucket, box, jug, bottle, etc. Just use what there else, add enough of whatever to fill a mold or so and see what I end up with.

ilonaliss

Reaction score
I considered 0% SF but when I dissolved the lye in water the temperature shot up to close to 90 C, so I figured it can't be that impure... maybe I was wrong. Besides, the prospect of a lye-heavy soap scares me more than death itself so I gave myself a bit of a safety margin. Hopefully the 1% unsaponified oils don't give me gangrene 😂

Anyway, here it is. I soaped at around 42 C and the batter traced almost immediately so I could only do a simple design. Obviously I was too excited to wait a full 24 h to unmold so the bottom edges are crumbly but I'm still happy with it! Thanks for your encouragement guys! :)

Attachments