SALT SPA BARS / LET'S SEE YOUR PIC'S

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They're lovely Opalgirl. The size looks about the same as the mold that kelleyaynn is using which is an individual mold. :wink:

My first salt bar. Don't really like them - they are still soft after 12 hrs...

After reading I decided on this because I wanted them to look smooth

CO 36.4oz
OO 10.4oz
Grapeseed 5.2oz

Lye 7oz
GM 20oz
Tea Tree 2oz
Cocoa 3tsp for coloring.
Sea Salt - fine 26oz
100_0517.jpg

:shock: I love that margarita salt bar Opalgirl, it's about the color of the coconut lime verbena that Bayougirl did just above. They're gorgeous. What did you use to get that color (if you don't mind sharing) I love it!

opalgirl said:
I think I used Canary lab color and gulf stream lab color..... :)

Thanks, it's an awesome color. I love the blue one two it's not as "loud" as the blue I use, but I've never used anything but micas & oxides (and natural colorants) ...I may have to branch out. :)

I made salt bars once and am going to do so again soon. They set up very very fast, and I love how white they came out ( I did one in blue and one in green mixed in on top). For some reason the one I did in blue and ocean breeze scent was too crumbly although the batch was the same, split. I think it is important to get these out of the mold and cut as soon as possible and not wait around like I did.
But yes, they lather great and last forever!

Thanks for compliments :)), but I think it still need improvement in cutting :))
Next time I will try cut it after 2-3 hours only. 4 hours seem to be too late. :(

hobbiz said:
Thanks for compliments :)), but I think it still need improvement in cutting :))
Next time I will try cut it after 2-3 hours only. 4 hours seem to be too late. :(

i cut mine after about 1.5 to 2 hours, when they're still warm. in individual molds it doesn't seem to matter much, i often let these sit overnight, pop in the freezer for about 20 mins, then pop out of the molds.

Traceyann said:
I have been reading this post with interest, now I dont want to sound dumb, but what are the benefits of salt bars ???? I assumed that being salty they would be drying to the skin ??? can someone enlighten me please as I have obviously missed something .....

Some interesting info,

"Dead Sea Salts: The balance of the salts in Dead Sea water are magnesium, potassium, calcium chloride and bromides. Why are these types of salts beneficial? Magnesium is important for both combating stress and fluid retention, slowing skin aging and calming the nervous system. Calcium is effective at preventing water retention, increasing circulation and strengthening bones and nails. Potassium energizes the body, helps to balance skin moisture and is a crucial mineral to replenish following intense exercise. Bromides act to ease muscle stiffness and relax muscles. Sodium is important for the lymphatic fluid balance (this in turn is important for immune system function). So we can see that bathing in high quality sea salt could replenish the minerals which are critical to our skin metabolism."

Here is a pic of my salt bars...I just want to say that they are the 4th batch of soap I ever made!! So of course I need practice on aesthetics... LOL!! However they turned out nice and I am using them :) Oh and PS: ALL the pics on here are amazing!! from the more simple ones to the fancy...Fantastic!!

Mmm, must try salt bars,but think I'll get a mould that I can just pop them out. Can you use butchers salt ? We have a very large bucket left over from when we closed up.

Relle9 said:
Mmm, must try salt bars,but think I'll get a mould that I can just pop them out. Can you use butchers salt ? We have a very large bucket left over from when we closed up.

I have a silicone rectangle mold I made some salt bars in and it was great - I didn't have to worry about cutting them right away, and they came out looking really smooth and nice - not nearly as rustic as salt bars tend to look when cut.

What is butcher's salt? Are there any additives to it? Or is it just larger crystals? If it is just plain salt you should be fine. If the crystals are large, you could always use a food processor to break them up some if you want smaller pieces.

yoenoess said:
Want kind of salt that we can use to make those salt bar?

can i use regular kitchen salt?

Yes. You can also use kosher salt (what I use) or sea salt, if it doesn't have a lot of minerals in it.

Latest posts

Back