Salt bars

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ill second what DeeAnna said about the salts. I have seen someone that says they make salt bars out of dead sea salts though. Im not sure if they have found some trick to using them or if theyre really not using dead sea salts though. Ive never tried because I heard it just turns your soap to muck.

I've seen recommendations for 15-20% SF. I'm wondering, is the difference appreciable or just personal preference?

There's no magic about 15% or 20% ... or even 25%. Pick one and go with it. If you like more lather, pick 15%. If you are concerned about the soap being too drying, pick the 20%. Or make both and see what you think.

The higher the SF, the higher the free fats, and the higher the potential for rancidity. But when you get up to 15% and above, I suspect there is enough free fat floating around that if the fat is going to go "off", it will. The 5% difference is not going to make much difference on that issue, IMO.

I doubt with a high salt content that even a 25% sf could go off anyway.

Latest posts

Back