Salt bar questions

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orangetree71

Reaction score
Sorry for so many questions today. I've searched the forum for info on salt bars, but I still have questions.

1) Can I use any recipe? I've heard that there should be a high % of CO, but I'm afraid that would be drying.

2) How much of a lye discount should I take?

3) Since they get really hot, should I not cover the mold?

4) I read they should be cut in a few hours, while still hot. How do I know when to cut them?

1. You can use any recipe. A high coconut recipe should not be drying if it has a high superfat but everyone is different.

2. I don't ever do lye discounts so I can't say.

3. Do not insolate.

4. Cut it just when the soap hardened but not fully cool. You don't want it to be liquid but it can't be fully solid either.

1. My typical salt bar recipe is 75% coconut, the other 25% varies wildly. I've not noticed them to be drying, nor has anyone who's tried one of them said that they're drying, but that may be because

2. I use a 20% lye discount on them.

3 and 4 I can't help with because I use individual cavity molds that do need to be insulated.

Try this:
90% CO
10% Castor

20% lye discount
2:1 water:lye

80% of the weight of oil in salt

Fragranced at 3% (unless your using something like mint, clove, cinnamon...)

Use room temp oil and room temp lye.
If possible use individual molds or a divided mold
Otherwise let sit uncovered for about 6 hours then unmold and cut.

Oh my gosh, 75% CO, 90% CO. . . I ran the recipe thru soapcalc and got a conditioning value of 19 and cleansing value of 60. I guess I should ignore soap calc, but it goes against what I've learned. I'm also afraid of the 20% lye discount. That doesn't make the bar soft? I guess I'll try it anyway and see for myself how I like the bar.

One more question- I don't soap at room temp. What's the hottest temp I could soap at without melting the salt?

Thanks for the advice and suggestions!

My salt bars are rock hard and they are 100% coconut oil at 20% sf.

My bars are hp so I'm afraid I can't help with when to add the salt.

orangetree71 said:

One more question- I don't soap at room temp. What's the hottest temp I could soap at without melting the salt?
No idea, I always soap at room temp or colder.

1) Mine are made what high CO.
2) I would not discount the water for it sets up (hardens) faster. Try to SF aroung 5%.
3) You can cover, just remember to cut early.
4) I cut about 2 hours. You want to be able to cut, if you wait to long they will be hard to cut and break into pieces. keep an eye on them.

I love salt bars! Theres something about a salt bar, not sure what it is

orangetree71 said:
Oh my gosh, 75% CO, 90% CO. . . I ran the recipe thru soapcalc and got a conditioning value of 19 and cleansing value of 60. I guess I should ignore soap calc, but it goes against what I've learned. I'm also afraid of the 20% lye discount. That doesn't make the bar soft? I guess I'll try it anyway and see for myself how I like the bar.

Thanks for the advice and suggestions!

In the case of salt bars you will not need to worry about soft bars, the high CO and the salt result in very hard soap.
You also will not need to worry about melting the salt, there is no way you could soap hot enough to do that. The melting point of NaCl (Sodium Chloride, table salt, primary constituent of sea salt) is 1474 degrees F (801 C).

I have made the exact same recipe as overthemoon. You'll definately be happy with it. It's simple, wonderful and gives you a clean slate to play with later. Others posted sound wonderful also. I made multiple test batches last summer. I'm looking through my notes now..... I can tell you that 80% coconut and 20% soybean had dos within three months. There were a few others that I made that I thought were wonderful, until a few uses and my skin became very dry - those were all either lower in superfat or the recipe was 80% coconut and 20% other oils (variety, but no butters, I loved the ones that had 5% shea or cocoa in). hth

I have a questions- I understand this is a salt bar soap bar thread - but since I asked in my other thread about adding salt now after reading this I have another question: If I add 50% sea salt (not dead sea salt) do I cover, insulate, and cut before 12 - 24 hours?
Thanks! This thread helped me as well :)

You'll need to watch it and keep track of the time for the future. Once it's fully gelled it will get hard fairly quickly. When it's hard enough to slice, it should still be slightly warm. If you wait too long to cut it, it will chip off a bit and won't be smooth.

Can you give some additional information. How Do you soap solid oils at room temp?

ToniD said:

Can you give some additional information. How Do you soap solid oils at room temp?

With rtcp (room temp cold process/pour) you can use a stick blender to break up and mix your hard oils into the soft ones, or you can premelt then and stir together. It takes a little longer getting to gelling temperature, otherwise, no difference that I can tell of. Except it's way easier :)

Twilitr said:
So im guessing there isn;t a way To HP satl bars? I plan on trying soon.
Can you CPOP or RTOP? or is there really a need to?
Im guessing a 100% CO w/20% SF is ok?
Is it possible to swirl with salt bars?

Yep, you can definitely HP salt bars! Add the salt at the end of the cook and be ready with your molds, because it will set up fast! You'll be able to cut them very soon, too.

I have CPOP'ed them--it's just a personal preference thing.

I usually use a 20%SF with my salt bars, although they're not usually 100% CO (I usually max it at 80%), but some people make them that way with good results.

I just swirled salt bars this week for the first time and had no trouble whatsoever. It was CP, though; I'd be reluctant to try it with HP.

If you've never used salt bars before you will LOVE them! (I have a grapefruit bar currently in my shower--perfect for the morning!) All the best!

Oh you are a life saver. :D
I under stand now about the HP bars, i have enough trouble w/o salt getting in into the mold and looking ok already.
- Good to know about CPOP and the swirls, i may have to try that.
Im thinking of doing 80/20 or 90/10 of Co and castor to help with bubbles. I recieved a Salt bar in the last swap and FELL IN LOVE WITH IT!!! thanks again for the response. once i get all the goodies together i'll post pics. Just to be sure im doing this right the ratio is 1:1 for salt:eek:il right? (28oz oil=28oz salt)

I use 50% salt--I know some do higher. (So, 28 oz. oils, 14 oz. salt.) I once tried a higher percentage and wasn't as delighted by it, personally.

Happy to help! :D Cheers!

Latest posts

Back