saffron

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have used it to get dark yellow (I've since switched to a much cheaper flower, dandelions).
I found that when using dried ground safron, the color came out darker by making a lye infusion. (which is just sprinkling it on the water with my lye).

I pick all the dandelion petals off & dry them in the microwave. Then sometimes I'll do an oil infusion with them, which is what I recently did last weekend.

Here's mine from last weekend. The color is completely from the dandelion infusion and this picture was taken right before I unmolded them.

But sometimes I sprinkle them in with my lye, which gets an even darker yellow.

If you use dandelion, make sure they're free of pesticides.

I knew I had a crop of these for a reason! I probably have enough to supply the entire forum, for life. :shock:

Dandelions are supposed to have astringent properties. I'm not sure if the soaping process destroys those properties, but I'm betting the microwaving of the petals & heating of them in oil probably does.

You can also get a pretty nice green by drying & infusing the leaves.

I actually got the idea of using dandelion from remembering when my mom would use them to dye Easter eggs when we were little.

I make a water infusion...I put them in a large tea ball and steep in water...gives you a nice yellow color

sorry I'm late getting back to you! I'd wanted to do a green lot also!! Thank you for the advice Genny and Dirrdee!

dirrdee...the colour doesn't change coming into contact with the lye? some were saying 'food' turns brown. Is it different with plants? I was thinking of trying to infuse beetroot leaves for red and radish skins leave a purple-ly red colour on the sink! Have you tried that?

that will probably turn brown....chamomile and calendula tend to stay yellow with the lye and also maintain their yellow leaves in the soap. I posted a pic awhile back of chamomile aloe soap and I infused 2T of alkanet infused olive oil , with a tea of calendula leaves and got a nice yellow color that stayed...here it is

Greens tend to fade but I did have some success with wheat grass, altho it morphed some it was still "greenish"

Do some searches on natural colorants here on the forum, you will find alot of information and maybe not have to repeat all the same experiments that dont work well...lol

Back