Safety Assessment question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mariflo

Reaction score
Hi guys.
I would really really appreciate your input on this ... pretty please ... :oops:
I've received my safety assessment (a CP soap recipe with all its additives and stuff) and everything is perfect.
I, however, have one question that I am pretty sure will sound silly, but here it goes.
What does this sentence mean:
"All manufacture must be to standards of good hygiene and to standards of Good Manufacturing Practice, by qualified and / or experienced personnel."
Ok, I get the part about the standards of hygiene and Good Manufacturing Practice BUT, I don't understand what the "qualified and / or experienced personnel" is about. I was under the impression that you don't need a particular background to be able to produce and sell your cosmetics.
For over a couple of years I've been making soap and cosmetic products or myself (and friends and relatives when everything came out ok) and odd batches of soap, creams and lotions for testing by me. But I've never worked in any soap making factory or cosmetician's practice and therefore do not have any 'experience" in the area. My education is not related to it either, actually it couldnt've been any more different.
Does that mean that I can't sell my soap if I decided to unless I hire a "professional soap maker"? How odd is that?
Are you guys all "qualified"? and if so, how (I mean what qualification do I need?)

Thank you so much for reading this, you guys are awesome. :)
mari

Hello - as there is no qualification around, you are the qualified person. Not sure if you spoke to your assessor about your good practice statement, but you should follow that.

Thank you very much for your replies.
The good practice statement specifies that I will respect the recipe he approved both quality and quantity-wise and that I will be truthful about the provenience of all the ingredients. I wouldn't do it any other way :)
About the experienced staff I guess I'll consider, ahem, myself that person and keep a detailed journal of all my soaps/tests (with a stamp and signature and all that serious stuff). It's not easy getting into this the right way. I can't even do it from my own kitchen because I have a dog and 2 cats and the apartment is not considered "clean" enough for the purpose (the probability of loose hairs is too high) ... funny ...
Thanks again for your replies, you guys rock :)
mari

Latest posts

Back