Rose tea in soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sndrcr3

Reaction score
I've been wanting to experiment with roses in CP soap. I have some very nice dried red rose petals at my disposal. I've never tried this before, mostly because I've read everywhere that rose petals turn black in CP soap. Has anyone ever tried making a strong tea of rose petals and using that as a lye base to get some pink color in the soap? Or would doing that basically turn the lye solution black?

Sorry it will turn brown, like most plants do. Even if you put the rose pedals on top of a CP they turn dark as well.

You could bet your finished rose soap an your rose pedals.

I'm not so sure about that. I've seen soaps with dried rose petals inside and on top and they seemed to do very well. Fresh -will- turn gross for sure because of the moisture still in them. Use dried petals and I'd suggest stopping the gel phase so they don't get exposed to the heat which can turn them brown.

Try a small test batch, soap closer to 90-100F or even a little lower and see how they do. If you want to add the tea maybe brew it super strong and just add the tea after you've added the lye solution to the oils so it won't take the brunt of the chemical reaction.

I plan to try this out myself soon as my BB and SFHerb orders gets here :)

Good luck!

rose pedals

Even on my whipped soap - no gelphase - the dried rose pedals that touched the soap turned brown. It took same days, but they did.

Hot process might work.

Adding the infusion befor or after the lye, did never make a difference. My rosepedalteasoap has a nice nonroselike dark brown color......... I added the lye into it.

Nope. I have tried every way. I have very prolific rose bushes and always has turned brown. Usually the lye eats up alot of the petals. But even on top it won't work. You might want to post this in the CP section next time or post there too.

Latest posts

Back