Rimmed soap learning curve

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I cut my first rimmed soap and wow, there’s a huge learning curve! My first rim was put in oven to gel but I forgot to turn the oven off after it started preheating so yeah, that volcano’d. Try #2 was a thin slab mold which I tried to cut in half horizontally using a pottery cutoff wire. That wasn’t very successful either as it was all uneven so then I took that wobbly slab and leveled it with a rolling pin. By that time it was a bit brittle and harder to bend into a column and the joint was a challenge to bind together. I think it might be a few weeks/months/years before I give this another try. Hats off to those of you who can do this so successfully IMG_0391.jpg

Karen, I love your colors for your rim! The soap may not be the perfection you aimed for, but they are really pretty.

I was worried about trying to get my rim flat (non-bumpy) enough for a smooth surface, and if I'd be able to handle it without getting any cracks. That was pretty smart to use a rolling pin, though! I wonder if one of those water filled rolling pins filled with very hot water would have helped, since you need to keep the slab warm for my pliability?

That was pretty smart to use a rolling pin, though! I wonder if one of those water filled rolling pins filled with very hot water would have helped, since you need to keep the slab warm for my pliability?

That’s an interesting idea! I have a marble one which can be heated by running under really hot water, perhaps, if I am ever brave enough to try it again, I’ll try that.

Back