Retaining Scent in CP soaps

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cosmoman

Reaction score
Some of my scents seem to fade from the soap too quickly.

Especially citrus EO's and coconut

Any kind of additive to help soap retain the fragrance ?

Citrus scents do tend to fade. You can anchor them with some litsea E.O. or some clay. I've never scented with coconut.

Citrus scents do tend to fade. You can anchor them with some litsea E.O. or some clay. I've never scented with coconut.

Like Ruthie mentions - use some Litsea EO to help hold the citrus scents. Highly concentrated citrus EO's (and thus a little more expensive) greatly helps to hold better (along with the Litsea) in cp soap. Go to New Directions Aromatics and see their Lemon 5 Fold EO, Orange 5 Fold EO and Key Lime EO. Very potent oils but have great lasting qualities. Here is a link to the Lemon 5 Fold: http://www.newdirectionsaromatics.com/lemon-essential-oil-5-fold-p-285.html . The other citrus oils are found in the "oils" link.

Like dagmarr88 mentions, coconut is one challenging FO. The search is still on for a great, lasting, non-morph FO.

I just bought some Coconut Lime Verbena for baby shower favors. I had never used a coconut FO before, but I knew that citrus were not long lasting. Now that I know coconut is also this way, I will wait to make the favors till the shower is a bit closer.

How long does a coconut FO remain fragrant? I have about 3 months to the shower now, so if you think it'll hang around till then, maybe I will go ahead and just make them now.

Latest posts

Back