Resizing question. And recipe check.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I got some new molds that are irregular shape. This is the first time I’ve used the “resize” option. I chose measurements in grams, but only know the volume of my molds in ounces, so I chose that option. Does this look right? The ingredients are kind of pricey, so I don’t want to make too much, or too little batter. Also, the recipe I’m hoping for is a some what lotiony conditioning soap. So, any feedback on that is welcome also.

Attachments

• 6C042879-0436-41C7-841E-05C04EE44A1C.png
    6C042879-0436-41C7-841E-05C04EE44A1C.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 14
I'm going to guess based on the fatty acid profile that your recipe will make a hard, long lasting bar with a moderate to low amount of creamy lather.

If you want to double check the resizing calculations, I have described a way to measure an irregular mold (or multiple molds) and estimate the grams or ounces of fat needed to make a batch of soap to fit said mold(s). See here -- Soapy Stuff: Estimate batter to fill a mold

You might get lucky and make exactly the right amount of batter to fill your molds the very first time using them, but I'd not count on that. For the first time, I'd prepare a small "just in case" mold for any extra batter. And also think through how you might want to handle things assuming there's not quite enough batter.

I'm going to guess based on the fatty acid profile that your recipe will make a hard, long lasting bar with a moderate to low amount of creamy lather.

If you want to double check the resizing calculations, I have described a way to measure an irregular mold (or multiple molds) and estimate the grams or ounces of fat needed to make a batch of soap to fit said mold(s). See here -- Soapy Stuff: Estimate batter to fill a mold

You might get lucky and make exactly the right amount of batter to fill your molds the very first time using them, but I'd not count on that. For the first time, I'd prepare a small "just in case" mold for any extra batter. And also think through how you might want to handle things assuming there's not quite enough batter.
Having an extra mold handy is great advice! Thank you!! I’ve read that page, it’s super fantastic! But, it’s a bit numbery and gave my brain a cramp! Haha. I should reread it. ❤️

Latest posts

Back