Releasing from a hard mold

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Momonga

Reaction score
I have a couple of ideas I want to try out, but I think I will need to use a hard mold, like glass or or metal. Any advice on how to "prime" the mold so that it won't be impossible to get the soap out? I read somewhere about "unmolding product" but can't find it anywhere. And are there techniques to release soap from a hard mold? Everything I have done so far has used silicone or plastic molds.

One of the molds I want to use is just a simple glass baking dish (I know they come in silicone, but I need the hard walls for my little scheme). Maybe just parchment paper? The other is a little more complicated, cast iron with a 3D relief on the back.

I would use freezer paper-glossy side towards the soap. Do not use an aluminum pan though! Aluminum and sodium hydroxide are a bad combination. If you find that your soap gets stuck in the mold, sticking it in the freezer for a while can help.

Even with melt and pour soap? I used an old metal bread pan with melt and pour with no side effects?
MP has already gone through the saponification process, so the sodium hydroxide is all used up and there would be no reaction between the two.

OK! I'll give it try. My mother bought a Sesame Street mini-cake pan for me to bake little cakes with little muppets on the top for the baby. Boy did she overestimate me! But I'll bet I can make some cute muppet soaps. This is going to be a vacation project.

Back