Registering as a business

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinytreats

Reaction score
So my question is this: am I able to expense/claim purchases I made BEFORE registering my business?
Reason I ask is because I started off soaping as a hobby, which grew into me selling at farmers markets. I didn't have to register my business selling at farmers markets, so I never did. But things have been taking off, and I now want to sell at craft shows and online, and so I decided to register and license my business. I have made a lot of purchases as of recently (new printer, label paper, new stick blender, more raw product) and it would be really awesome to expense this to the business. I only registered the business today, and I made these purchases over the past 4 months.
I doubt I can, but I thought I'd ask. I'm from Canada, btw.

I'd phone an accountant to confirm, but I was pretty sure that you were allowed startup expenses from one year prior to starting the business. I'm also in Canada.

You should be fine. You need supplies to make product to test before ever selling. I was able to do so here it probably just depends on where you live.

Back