Refrigerate or wrap in towels? Gel or no Gel ?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jerry S said:
Just a close up of the same bars of the bar mold..the bars turned out really nice and the color your looking at was consistent throughout the bars..thats why I was so confused about reading on the Forum about soaps that gel and have different shades. they sat on the bench just as you see them..

First of all, great pics! Awesome molds too. I love how one was labled "Supposed to be green" I have had a few batches that were supposed to be one color and came out another! lol

Guess I'm going to have to play the wait and see game. I just made my third batch (ever) - CP, into a wood log mold. The first two I made were in shallow plastic tray molds, and definitely didn't gel but seem to have come out just fine. I'm mixing at about 85 deg F oil, lye somewhat cooler.

I came back to this thread to check if I should be making my mold all cosy, but I'm really none the wiser! This is the largest batch I've made, so I'm half expecting this one to gel. I think I'll leave it as is, unwrapped, on the counter.

Stay tuned ...
(Many thanks to all who've posted pics - very helpful).

Is non-gel bad?

This gel non gel conversation is very interesting. I have made my first batch of CP soap. For the most part, I am happy with the results so far. Definitely a learning process and will make some changes for future batches. My batch does not seem to have fully gelled though. I believe this is because not enough heat was maintained once in the mold. I can correct this for the future. My main concern now though is with this non-gelled part of my bars. I have about an 1/8 inch border of non-gelled sections around all edges of my bars. Is this still safe to use? Is the only difference between the gel and non-gel parts aesthetic qualities? If not good to use, can I cut off the non-gel parts and rebatch it while still keeping what seems to be good gelled soap part? The soap was in the mold for 48 hours and has now been out and cut for 24 hours. Thanks.

Re: Is non-gel bad?

leizza said:
This gel non gel conversation is very interesting. I have made my first batch of CP soap. For the most part, I am happy with the results so far. Definitely a learning process and will make some changes for future batches. My batch does not seem to have fully gelled though. I believe this is because not enough heat was maintained once in the mold. I can correct this for the future. My main concern now though is with this non-gelled part of my bars. I have about an 1/8 inch border of non-gelled sections around all edges of my bars. Is this still safe to use? Is the only difference between the gel and non-gel parts aesthetic qualities? If not good to use, can I cut off the non-gel parts and rebatch it while still keeping what seems to be good gelled soap part? The soap was in the mold for 48 hours and has now been out and cut for 24 hours. Thanks.
There is no need to rebatch. Once the soap is cured it will be as good as the parts that gelled. If you soap is still in the mold and your mold is oven safe, you could put it in the oven at 170 degree (US) and leave it there til it completely gels. Let cool, then slice.

I do the fridge thing too just a personal preference on the look this gives me..............soaps have a creamier look to them. I still get a partial gel from time to time some of that is to do with the fragrances......there are those that really heat up in soap.
Just a little edit here as forgot to say your white soap is totally divine!!!!!! love it all but that rocks............loving it :0)

For those who do not gel, may I ask why not? What is the diffference in your finished soaps?

I gel (aka wrap my soap babies in towels) but for higher temp recipes such as ones with honey or salt soaps, I've left unwrapped and watched them to see what they do :roll: and you can actually see the "gel" phase start in the middle and extend out to the edges. Really neat actually.

Bubbly Buddha said:
For those who do not gel, may I ask why not? What is the diffference in your finished soaps?

I gel (aka wrap my soap babies in towels) but for higher temp recipes such as ones with honey or salt soaps, I've left unwrapped and watched them to see what they do :roll: and you can actually see the "gel" phase start in the middle and extend out to the edges. Really neat actually.

Yes, it really is neat to watch the gel happening. My molds are the silicon molds from WSP. They are not inside a wooden mold like some others. I soap at cool temps so I don't get gel. I'm used to that and I like the look. Less fussing over it, too (no oven, no freezer, no nothing). Gel or no gel is about the look - period. I don't like partial gel. I'm still experimenting and taking lots of notes so future batches that I know will start to gel, I'll probably finish them off in the oven so that they gel all the way through. Still good soap either way.

I just unmolded a batch I poured in a Wilton 8 x 8. Wrapped it in heavy towels, and but a heating pad under it on low. The bars came out great and look like a translucent cream.

I think I'll do the heating pad more when I want a translucent effect.

gelling with silicone molds

I have used milk cartons for molds so far and wrapped them in towels. I'm pretty sure they are gelling just because of how much heat they are generating! Always consistent color.

I just bought by first real molds - some silicone loaf molds from WSP because everyone on here raves about them! - and tried those yesterday. I didn't wrap them in towels, but I did put a piece of wood over the tops. I'm pretty sure they didn't gel at all. I kept peeking but didn't see any difference. I will unmold later today maybe and see if there is a color difference.

I have no room in my tiny fridge so that could never be an option for me.

Re: Silicone molds - do folks generally insulate/ wrap these? If not, do you find your soap doesn't or only partially gels? The soap was a castile and the 2nd, an olive/ palm base scented with lavender.

I really like the colors of those soaps. I have been back and forth on the no gelling thing. Depends on the colors and looks of the soaps. Today feels like a gel day since it's cold outside and my inside house temperature is about 72. Thanks for the pictures. That really helps.

Just unmolded my first batch with the silicone (no towels, just a board covering) and they did the partial gel. Darn. Have just done another batch but wrapped the silicone with a blanket so will see if that encourages the total gel...

Well, I think I’m finally clear on all the Gel no gel issues...My soaps have all gelled due to the fact that they generate enough heat just being in the molds I use….I guess…(':)'
Tasha and Carebear…I have to thank you for clearing up most of this issue for me and Tasha for those great pics of partial gel…Carebear for…”the gelled part is the center. the edges are ungelled.”…Having never seen this before in any of my soaps was most informative..':wink:'
And…lyn..you made me feel so good when you said. “Just a little edit here as I forgot to say your white soap is totally divine!!!!!! love it all but that rocks............loving it :0)”
By the way Lyn, you have the prettiest sculpted bars I have ever seen…hands down…':lol:'
But again…hats off to you all for your comments and tips…I love you guys and this forum and it’s a lot of fun making soap….
Jerry S

It's funny... I sometimes have more trouble with partial gel when I TRY to gel. I think it may be because I almost always use PVC molds and they probably don't hold a lot of heat the way wood and silicone molds do.

But that's ok... I prefer non-gelled soap. I pre-chill my PVC molds and only take them out of the fridge when I'm ready to pour. I also soap cool and use a pre-mixed lye solution at room temp so things don't usually get too hot. I pour and the molds go right back in the fridge for 48 hours and I almost never see any gel... except maybe when I have a very reactive FO or add too much honey etc.

When I do want a gelled soap (like a dark purple floral soap I make called "Amethyst") then I usually HP it since the floral FO will accelerate anyway.

The only CP soaps I insulate are my salt bars.

I had been confused about this gell thing, and what it looked like, until my last batch - the first in my new silicon loaf mould, also my first goats milk soap. Now I know what it looks like, 4 weeks on it is pale around the edges and dark in the middle! Not very pretty. I only make small batches, I usually halve what recipes say as I'm experimenting with things right now, and I usually put the filled mould into a cardboard box and put a blanket over that. I don't tend to peek but I've never seen a 'gel' going on when I have looked..

i might have already asked this on another thread, if so sorry. I remember thinking it. lol

For those who cover your molds, what temperature is your house. Does fluctuations in house temp influence whether or not you cover? It seems when my place is mid 60s and i cover, i get partial gel.

to gel or not to gel...

I just had one more thought about all this gel or not to gel issue. For my next soaping for 2011 I was going to make one of those PVC pipe molds that you stick in the oven and when it gets warm it can be shaped into an oval mold. ':)'
But….. the thought occurred to me that the wall thickness on the PVC pipe won’t be thick enough to hold the heat and give me my complete gel I’m used too. But then I could cuddle it up in some towels so it stays warmer longer and that might solve the issue.

I wondered if anyone has ever used these molds and how hard it is to get the soap out after it sets up since its not round anymore but oval. As I remember in a video, one can just slide some freezer paper down the tube before one pours or.....spray some pam in there before the pour. Has anyone ever tried this ??
Jerry S

My soaps always gel regardless of whether I wrap or not, I actually have to be careful if I do wrap as they heat up toooooo much, but it is summer here and about 29 degrees celsius outside and sometimes 31 inside,( dont know what your conversionto farinheight is) , its also very very humid here too....as this is my first time soaping it will be interesting to see what happen in winter , but our winters are usually warm here too around 12 dg is the average lowest

Re: to gel or not to gel...

Jerry S said:
I just had one more thought about all this gel or not to gel issue. For my next soaping for 2011 I was going to make one of those PVC pipe molds that you stick in the oven and when it gets warm it can be shaped into an oval mold. ':)'
But….. the thought occurred to me that the wall thickness on the PVC pipe won’t be thick enough to hold the heat and give me my complete gel I’m used too. But then I could cuddle it up in some towels so it stays warmer longer and that might solve the issue.

I wondered if anyone has ever used these molds and how hard it is to get the soap out after it sets up since its not round anymore but oval. As I remember in a video, one can just slide some freezer paper down the tube before one pours or.....spray some pam in there before the pour. Has anyone ever tried this ??
Jerry S

Jerry, I just did some oatmeal and honey soap in a PVC mold on Friday. Yes, definetely, use the freezer paper in the mold. Works like a charm.

Before I learned to use freezer paper the soap stuck in there like crazy. I ended up having to put it in the freezer and freeze it solid, then run hot water over it to get it out. What a pain. Even at that, my husband had to help me get it out. Now with freezer paper lining it? It still takes a little work to get it out but it does come.

One other suggestion would be to use something that could act like a plunger through the mold. A pusher, if you will. I used a half-pint jar with the lid on it. Rather crude little instrument, but it worked! :D

Now, mind you, my PVC pipes were still round. I don't have an oval one yet. So not sure how you'll get a plunger/pusher for an oval one.

Usually what I do with my round molds is put them a tall beverage cooler we have. I put the pipes in standing up, surrounded by towels to keep them from tipping, and a little towel goes over the top.

As you know, honey in soaps will heat up quite a bit. So I really get quite a gel going. :) For honey soaps I usually leave the lid open.

Hey Jerry, I also wanted to say thanks for starting this thread. Due to all the discussion here, I decided to give the un-gelling process a try. Sadly for me, I got a partial gel even when I put the mold in the freezer. Re-reading the thread, I think it's because my loaf mold is made out of wood and stayed hot/warm too long. Oh well, it was fun to try. Thanks for being an inspiration!

Happy soaping!

to gel or not to gel...

Stacey, I thought that might be the way to go with the freezer paper in the tube. I saw a video of a lady doing something similar to what you mentioned about getting the soap out of the tube by pushing it out. She had a post in her backyard garden which was a bit smaller that the inside of the tube and she used that to bump the soap out.
Considering the heat that honey will generate is similar to me always using a tablespoon of sugar for every pound of lye water I have. That’s another reason I probably get complete gel…':wink:'
…':lol:'I don’t know if I’m much of an inspiration to anyone but I sure know about what makes getting a gel and not from all the discussion on this thread. Before this I had no idea about what people were talking about when they mentioned “partial gel”...

Hey Tracyann, your about 8 thousand miles from me':)'…. but I’m in a warm climate as you are. 29 to 30 celsius is about 86 to 90 degrees Fahrenheit. Yeah, that’s hot ':lol:' That’s probably why you get gel almost every time. Your summer now is our winter…we can get to 4 or 5 Celsius in winter but usually we’re about 20 which is pretty mild. I get a kick out of talking to you all “down under”…and of all things…about making soap…':)'
Jerry S

Latest posts

Back