Redeemable Failure?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liafrank

Reaction score
So this is my Midnight Leather Soap. I was shooting for a hard black soap, and ended up with this marbling. I don't hate the marbling, but I need some ideas on why this happened.

Recipe:
Babassu: 5%
Castor: 10%
Coconut: 26%
Olive: 29%
Palm: 30%

Used the Daystar Saddle Soap FO, which I think smells great. I soaped at around 87 degrees, but I oven processed by putting the finished soap in at 180 degrees turned off, which was probably unnecessary. The soap looked very well mixed when poured. Your thoughts welcome.

4-6-2013 018 resized.jpg

It looks like your solid oils resolidified into swirls. But, I did check out that fo on the Soap Scent Review board and 2 of the people said they had some color changing problems (pink) with the soap that got exposed to air. But the color change faded after a couple of weeks.

Thanks for the help. Do you know what would cause solid oils to resolidify?

I know it was not the look that you were trying for, but I do like the marbled look.

Thanks for the help. Do you know what would cause solid oils to resolidify?

Since you were only soaping at 87 degrees, that's most likely. Especially with the palm oil.

But like I said, since other people had color issues with that fo, it could be that.

Back