recommendations for a slab mold

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a 6x6 inch perfect for small batches slab mold made of silicone. Always was great until 2 batches ago. I cpop'ed it for the first time and it over heated (oven on to 170, off and placed soap into it). It bowed the bottom down and now I have uneven rounded bottom bars of omh soap (thx irishlass for the fo suggestions on omh, it smells pretty spot on to what omh should I think). So now the bottom is loosey goosey, floppy in fact, and I needed to put it on a rack to cpop the batch I made last night because of this. Second cpop on it and it made those bubbles I read about on here in my soap :evil: it was a general consensus it was a result of the silicone releasing gas or something from being a cheaper type...

this silicone is cheap or something because it wasn't over 170 degrees and I had all these issues, sooooo disappointed!

I like silicone and not too pricey. Any suggestions for where to purchase a smallish slab mold? Tia!!

I have that 12 bar one but it takes a lot of soap, like 50+ ounces of batter. I use my 9 bar mold from BB for a slab but it's not for tester batches. The 9 bars it makes are on the small side so I often leave the dividers out and then I get 8 bars but they aren't standard sizes. I was going to get the one you have, which is from BB, correct? I won't CPOP a small batch but I do use a heating pad. I wonder if it would have the same issues.

I have gotten bubbles from all my silicone if it's in the oven. I don't think the molds are all cheap but I think there is something about silicone with a certain level of heat that causes problems for the soap.

Last edited:
I had been told that where the soap batter comes into contact with the silicone can be hotter than the rest of the soap and actually cause it to boil against it which makes those little bubbles

Thx all, and yes it was bb. It was too wide for a cpop then I guess. I cpop in the tall skinny silicone without this problem from American soap supplies, and bb 1 pound loaf gives me no issues cpoping. I guess maybe the fo's both occasions contributed to heating beyond standard? The bowing happened after it became way too hot.

I probably will just buy another from bb and heat pad it to gel. I like getting 6 bars and don't want bigger because not selling, there is such a thing as "too big a batch". We're homebodies and don't have tons of people to share with as it is.

I had read others think it was cheaper grade silicone more prone to issues, so I assumed that was it. I probably just needed to keep it cooler than it wound up becoming.

Thx for the input everyone!

would you please post the link of suggestions about omh. Thank you.

Last edited:
would you please post the link of suggestions about omh. Thank you.

She's posted it here several times in several different threads. It's a blend of
Oregon trail soap omh and Daystar milk sugar kisses.
It's an oatey smelling sweet milk scent that's warm and doesn't carry that playdough or overwhelming almond other omh can.
The Oregon trail omg was a little warm scented like there's a hint of spice behind it. I'm more partial to the milk scent, so I will try again with more milk sugar kisses and a tad less omh.
She didn't post a ratio, so I did a 1:1 the first time.

Back