Recipes and the weather

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Do you adjust your recipes for the seasons?
I started making soap last winter for my really dry skin.
This summer I adjusted my recipe some as I just don't need as much moisture in the summer and I wanted to get more bubbles.
Now with winter coming I guess I will go back to less bubbles, more skin conditioning.
Does anyone else do this?

I do tend to make more soaps with cocoa butter in the autumn and winter, because I find them to be more creamy and moisturizing. But other than that, I tend to use pretty much the same recipes year round ....,

Sent from my iPad using Soap Making

Same here - same basic recipe with butters added for winter.

I leave my recipe the same all year..I have very very dry skin..

im with Savonierre. we have insanely hard water here, and it strips the moisture out of our skin. I try to keep the superfat a little higher than what I usually read, a few percent higher. I haven't used any butters yet, im picky about smells.

Don't worry too much about the smell of the butters, Gruntedsoaps, they usually don't make it through saponification - and if they do, the smell is generally gone by the end of the cure. And as I don't use palm oil, I use either shea or cocoa butter (or a mixture of the 2) in most of my soaps. But if I had to chose one, it would definitely be shea .......

Sent from my iPad using Soap Making

Back