Recipe critique - high palm soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anstarx

Reaction score
I believe I was browsing this forum the other day when I saw someone mentioned they made a high palm soap and it turned out great. Unfortunately, I didn't save the post so I couldn't find the source now, only a screenshot I sent to my friends.
1.jpg

I haven't soaped in a while and just want to do something different. I don't have PKO at hand and shipping is very slow here atm, so I will swap it for coconut.

My recipe being:
Coconut oil 10%
Palm oil 65%
Castor oil 5%
Rice bran oil 20%

I recognize this will be a fast moving soap so I will take caution and only make a small batch, but overall I just thought it'd be fun to try. Plan to color with red clay and maybe some cedar EO. Any thoughts or suggestion?

May I suggest that you up the coconut oil to 20% and reduce the palm oil to 55%? You will still have a hard bar with a low cleansing number, but more bubbles.
I want to see if I can use it as a face bar (which the original post mentioned) and I found 15% CO is about as much as I can go for facial, so I think I will try 15% CO with 60% palm and see how it goes from there.

You could always add sorbitol for more bubbles.
Or, better yet, use rice water to make the lye solution for the same effect.

And rice flour instead of red clay a lå @Dawni 's TRIPLE RICE SOAP - formulated for faces. I think you will be surprised what a nice addition rice water is, along with the RBO and rice flour (my preference to the rice slurry).

Or, better yet, use rice water to make the lye solution for the same effect.

And rice flour instead of red clay a lå @Dawni 's TRIPLE RICE SOAP - formulated for faces. I think you will be surprised what a nice addition rice water is, along with the RBO and rice flour (my preference to the rice slurry).
Interesting, I don't have sorbitol at hand, would sweet rice flour do the sam trick? I've made facial soap with sweet rice flour and sweet rice wine before and it bubbled suprisingly well despite having only 10% CO, I attributed the bubblines to the wine tho.

Hi yall I just had the time to make the soap and write down notes.
I made a 600g batch and the final recipe is:
Palm oil - 60%
Coconut oil - 15%
Castor oil - 5%
Rice Bran oil - 20%
SF at 5%, 1:2 lye water ratio, added sodium lactate, cane syrup as usual.
Added 2% to oil weight sweet rice flour, 5% cedar EO
I did a layer, the red layer was colored with red clay, the yellow/white is uncolored.
trial.jpg

I seperate the oil into two parts, 200g and 400g, and mixed them seperately. Both part was room temp.
The uncolored layers is poured first and I made the mistake of not letting the lye cool (I haven't soap in a while in case you couldn't tell). I always mix lye with 70%ice and 30% water, so fortunately no lye steam, but the lye solution was pretty hot. I used a frother to mix, it only took about 5-6 burst and some hand mixing to emulsify. It took me like 20 sec to set up the mold at an angle, and the batter is almost med trace when I poured. By the time I finished pouring it's heavy trace.
For the red part, I let the lye solution sit for a while but it's still pretty warm when I mixed them, as the pitcher is barely comfortable to hold. It took a bit longer, I give it maybe 10 bursts with the frother to emulsify, and it's light trace when I poured. Cover with plastic wrap and sit at room temp.

I let it sit for 12 hours and it was already very hard (I usually unmold at 2 days-ish). Very easy to unmold, and had to put in some pressure to cut through with my wire cutter. Usually when I stamp I'm concerned with soaps being too soft but this one, I had to mallet it extra hard to get the impression.
The red clay I used is usually pretty strong, but I think the sweet rice flour somehow diluted it to a maroon color, which is interesting since most starch I used so far have no effect on color.
I think I will let it sit for 2 months to give it a first try.

Hi yall I just had the time to make the soap and write down notes.
I made a 600g batch and the final recipe is:
Palm oil - 60%
Coconut oil - 15%
Castor oil - 5%
Rice Bran oil - 20%
SF at 5%, 1:2 lye water ratio, added sodium lactate, cane syrup as usual.
Added 2% to oil weight sweet rice flour, 5% cedar EO
I did a layer, the red layer was colored with red clay, the yellow/white is uncolored.
View attachment 67044
I seperate the oil into two parts, 200g and 400g, and mixed them seperately. Both part was room temp.
The uncolored layers is poured first and I made the mistake of not letting the lye cool (I haven't soap in a while in case you couldn't tell). I always mix lye with 70%ice and 30% water, so fortunately no lye steam, but the lye solution was pretty hot. I used a frother to mix, it only took about 5-6 burst and some hand mixing to emulsify. It took me like 20 sec to set up the mold at an angle, and the batter is almost med trace when I poured. By the time I finished pouring it's heavy trace.
For the red part, I let the lye solution sit for a while but it's still pretty warm when I mixed them, as the pitcher is barely comfortable to hold. It took a bit longer, I give it maybe 10 bursts with the frother to emulsify, and it's light trace when I poured. Cover with plastic wrap and sit at room temp.

I let it sit for 12 hours and it was already very hard (I usually unmold at 2 days-ish). Very easy to unmold, and had to put in some pressure to cut through with my wire cutter. Usually when I stamp I'm concerned with soaps being too soft but this one, I had to mallet it extra hard to get the impression.
The red clay I used is usually pretty strong, but I think the sweet rice flour somehow diluted it to a maroon color, which is interesting since most starch I used so far have no effect on color.
I think I will let it sit for 2 months to give it a first try.
Beautiful 👌👌...Have you used the soap??

Here is one of my palm oil recipes which used 45% Palm oil and some 10% Shea. The Palm can be upped 10% and the Shea dropped. This is a dual lye recipe using vinegar, so if anyone uses this recipe remember extra lye is used because of the vinegar. Sorbitol and the dual lye help the higher palm to lather well.

Attachments

• Patchouli Vanilla _ Soapmaking Friend.pdf
    154.7 KB · Views: 0
I have tried an end piece at the 2 months mark. Not a whole lot of bubbles but it does lather if a little slow. It is mild tho. I would consider using it as a facial soap for summer. Overall a decent soap.
Hi...any update??😊😊

Back