Rebatching?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MGM

Reaction score
So...this 100% lard with M&P embeds, alien brain, orange EO soap is NOT getting better. At first it just looked bad. Now there's hardly any fragrance to speak of (6 days into cure) and the colour is going from a solid, pretty, off-white, to a two-tone spoiled buff....you know when you find *really old* brie or camembert in the back of the fridge....it doesn't mold, it goes tan coloured.....
Also, the soap feels ok, but just ok. Kind of hard to rinse off. My least favourite of all my soaps.

I know that the feel might change for the better during cure, and the look, well...it can't get worse, right? (I'm looking at you Waygu-a-palooza)

Anyhoo...would rebatching help any of this? I'm not eager to try it but don't want to pitch all of this out. But I also don't want to save it for a confetti soap that would then take on all its bad qualities either.

Thoughts?

IMO, no. Soap ingredients - except fragrance - are pretty cheap, really. i'm afraid you're going to rebatch this, use more fragrance, and then still not like it. I actually think the one with the 2 flowers is REALLY cool. Looks like some deliberate texturing. I'd put it away and try it again in 2 months. If nothing else, get a good idea of how you feel about 100% lard soap. if it doesn't improve, give it away at Christmas! I give my co-workers goodie bags every Christmas with 4-5 bars of soap. Usually at least 2 are "bad" - meaning the fragrance faded or they're a bit ugly.

Not sure about you guys but for me not all my soaping ingredients are cheap, especially when you have not been able to work for two years lol. It's one reason I rebatch. I've "saved" really ugly soap.

Just saying.

But I really wanted to say I'm one of the few who doesn't mind rebatching. I do it two ways. Either I blend some of the shredded soap into a new batch of oils, add my lye and proceed as normal (I've tried this both CP and HP), or I chuck the whole container full of grated soap in the microwave and babysit it. I don't mind it, I'm used to babysitting lol but the results are better using the first process, especially if it's light colored shreds.

I "cover up" some resulting ugly colors with charcoal and scent it with tea tree and tell my son I made him facial soap lol

Edited to add: I rebatch when a longish cure doesn't help the feel of the soap.

What I'm not sure about are the M&P embeds, sorry.

Last edited:
I wouldn't rebatch either. The color is probably from the orange EO. The scent fading is also due to the EO used, orange just doesn't stick.

Technically you could rebatch and add a different color and scent but it won't affect the feel of the soap.

You can trim off the alien brains if the look bothers you that much.
I would just tuck them away for a few weeks and see how you like them then.

100% lard soap isn't that great, low sudsing, really slick and a bit hard to rinse. It is however, very mild.

Thanks everyone! Ok,I'm going to banish the soap to a room where I won't see it and obsess over it every day. Will go peek at it in a few weeks time and see if there's any improvement. Interestingly, my older soaps made with orange FO are still very fragrant. I may just need to stick with the (cheaper) FOS.

Citrus EO's are notoriuos for fading quickly. I haven't found a nice orange fo yet but lemon fo from NG is really nice and sticks well. Everyone loves it.

Yeah did try a few tricks I'd read about (mixing with cornstarch as an anchor, and patchouli) but perhaps not enough. @Dean got me all excited with all his orange soap.....

Latest posts

Back