Rebatching first time... HELP

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grannyjo

Reaction score
Using the techniques in The Complete Soapmaker I have made lye and lard soap for years. Now the g'baby wants to make some lavender soap for her teacher. I used the remilled recipe in the book and started with 9oz water and 12oz soapflakes. The flakes are very dry. I already see I used to much water and will need to add more soap flakes. My question is... After heating over med-low heat and turning the batch every few minutes all I have is a blob of stuff that looks like it could star on Ghostbusters. The instructions make it sound like this should melt down to a complete pourable liquid. As it is, I would have to force it into the molds. Is this normal :?: Thanks All

That is totally normal especially if your soap flakes were from older soap that has had a long cure. Re batched soap will never pour or look smooth and it won't come close to looking like a fresh batch of soap. It can make a really nice soap but they IMO always look a little rough and ugly. You will have to spoon it into your mold, tap it down and pack it in. Adding sodium lactate will make it a little smoother but it also gives the soap a shiny look that isn't appealing to me. If you have time you would be better off making a fresh batch with lavender.

LOL on ghostbuster reference that is pretty normal. I read here that right before pour little powdered milk can smooth it out some I also add like 1-2 teaspoons of water right before pour and it makes it little less ecto plasum like.HTH

Back