really oily lotion bar

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmg1177

Reaction score
So I used a recipe from my favorite soap store and they came out really oily. I think it might be from the sweet almond oil. Here is the recipe ingrediants maybe someone can tell me why they turned out so oily?

5 oz beeswax
8 oz sweet almond oil
2 oz cocoa butter
4 oz shea butter.

I put all in a double boiler til completely melted then added color and fragrance. :oops: :?:

Oh so your saying to make all the other ingredients add up to 8 oz to compensate for the 8 oz in sweet almond oil?

cmg1177 said:
So I used a recipe from my favorite soap store and they came out really oily. I think it might be from the sweet almond oil. Here is the recipe ingrediants maybe someone can tell me why they turned out so oily?

5 oz beeswax
8 oz sweet almond oil
2 oz cocoa butter
4 oz shea butter.

I put all in a double boiler til completely melted then added color and fragrance. :oops: :?:
remelt your bars and add
3 oz beeswax
2 oz cocoa butter

:)

Basically you want 1/3, 1/3 & 1/3.

Butters, like Shea & Cocoa at 1/3.
Oils, like Sweet Almond, Jojoba, Olive at 1/3
Beeswax at 1/3.

You can cut the greasy feeling a little more by adding some corn starch, start with a tiny amount and increase until you like the feel.

I made some lotion bars a few days ago with Olive oil, shea butter, vitamin E oil, beeswax AND cornstarch, it is a must! They turned out great! *(thanks for the advise Deda :D )

oily lotion bar

Thank you so much for your input! Thanks for saving me frustration and money!!
This forum helps a lot to reduce trial and error!!! Sometimes it can be pricey!!
:oops: :lol: :!:

Deda

Deda said:
You can cut the greasy feeling a little more by adding some corn starch, start with a tiny amount and increase until you like the feel.

What would be a good amount to start off with in a 40 oz batch of lotion? The oily feel only last for a bit but some people don't like that. Does the corn starch dry out your skin in the lotion at all?

Thanks
Paula

I can't tell you how much to use because I don't, but I can at least tell you that it won't dry the skin.

I add some IPM instead (isopropyl myristate), or fractionated coconut oil in a pinch.

Latest posts

Back