Ready to get started

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D.L.Ruth

Reaction score
Hello all, as the title says I am ready to try my hand at soap making. And by ready I mean, have not gotten any equipment yet, no ingredients, zero experience, won't be back in the country for another month or two, but I have read some on the forum here so I can be ready when I get home!

I currently am in the US Army and deployed over seas. Some current hobbies include coffee roasting (and drinking), used to be a runner and and cyclist, trying to get back into that. Have wanted to try making soap for some time now but never got around to giving it try so now I am finally putting my foot down and giving it a go.

One question I have right from the get go, if I order all the oils and lye and stuff how long is it good for? I would like to order it before I come back from deployment just want to make sure it will still be good by the time I get to use it.

Welcome, and I want to thank you for your Service to our country. :winner:

To answer your questions, you will be fine if you order your supplies before you get home. Oils that have a short shelf life are Hemp Oil, Grapeseed Oil, Regular Canola Oil and Sunflower Oil. Lye if let sealed tightly will last for years. Do you know who you are going to order from? Be warned, soapmaking is very addictive. :D

Not sure where I'm going to order, any suggestions? Not even sure what kind of oils I plan on using, what would be a good one to try for a first timer?

Welcome DL :). If you look in the shopping recs forum there are lots of places you can order from or google soap making supplies where you are living.

My dad was in the Army so military folks hold a special place in my heart. Thank you for your service!

A popular recipe that many newbies use is very simple and all the oils can be purchased from your local grocery store and/or pharmacy. I highly recommend starting there so you don't have to put out a lot of money up front or wait for delivery. If memory serves this is the recipe Susie routinely posts:

50% lard or tallow or palm (lard is inexpensive and readily available from most major grocery stores)
20% coconut oil
25% olive oil
5% castor oil

If you live near a Walmart you can buy all the oils and distilled water in one stop. You'll find castor oil in the pharmacy section.
If you have an Ace Hardware close by you can use Rooto Drain Cleaner. If it says "100% lye" it's sodium hydroxide to make bar soap.
Good luck with your soap addiction!

61BUVzkT4KL._SX522_.jpg

Thanks for the replies, that recipe seems pretty straight forward. As far as lard goes, is it just any old lard? Like the stuff in a can?

You should be able to find either of these brands at any supermarket. Sometimes I see it on a shelf in the baking aisle and sometimes I see it near butter and cheese.

41zP6n4n3rL._AC_UL436_SEARCH212385_.jpg

31h+QWFglxL._AC_UL320_.jpg

Let me add my thank you for your service. My dad and husband both served in the Navy. I don't have the Snow Cap lard available, but use the Armour brand. I buy a bucket at Walmart - I think it's 4 pounds. Have fun making your first batch. If you love making it, then start exploring online suppliers.

Soooo I know it has been a while since I said I was going to finally get started and, well, I finally did lol. Life got in the way and kept delaying and delaying but I made my first batch tonight. I ordered a bunch of stuff from brambleberry but delivery date isn't until Tuesday. So I did what any normal person would do and went and bought some lye locally and mixed it up with some stuff I had around the house, because who wants to wait that long to get started.

It is pretty basic I think
Coconut oil
Olive oil
Crisco
Castor oil

No color no fragrance

I of course forgot to take any pictures during the process but here is what it looks like now.
20230510_202130.jpg

Thank you for your service. Our country would not be safe or free without you and those like you who sacrifice much for the rest of us.

Congrats on your first batch of soap - looks lovely! Be sure to show us the cut bars, and then report back when you give it a try at the sink, too. :)

I am ready to try my hand at soap making. And by ready I mean, have not gotten any equipment yet, no ingredients, zero experience, won't be back in the country for another month or two, but I have read some on the forum here so I can be ready when I get home!

https://lovinsoap.com/2012/10/getting-started-in-soapmaking-without-spending-a-ton-of-money/
Check out this handy guide - Beginner's Learn to Soap Online
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/beginners-learn-to-soap-online.64426/#post-657018
If you're 2 months away, you can wait until you get back to buy the basics. You can find most stuff in your own kitchen or locally at the grocery store, Walmart or similar.

Good reads:
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/thr...ou-give-to-your-beginning-soaping-self.62916/
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/grocery-store-soap-challenge.83534/
Also, use the SEARCH freature in the upper right corner of this page for advice about buying a scale and stick blender -- 2 pieces of equipment that last and are worth the investment.

Welcome.gif

Oh gosh, I replied too quickLY!!!. From the looks of your soap, better late than never. You can and will do better. Hopefully the links I posted above will help!

HAPPY SOAPING!

Latest posts

Back