Reaction with different metals and CP soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamison

Reaction score
Anyone know of a list of metals that react or don't react with soap? I know aluminum corrodes and stainless is safe, but what about titanium, rhodium, rose gold, gold, silver, tungsten....?

Thanks

We'll I would say the golds and platinum are safe because I have gotten freshly mixed soap on my hands before and it didn't mess up my wedding rings. I do wash my hands within a couple of minuets, after I am done molding, but I have a big diamond on my engagement band and you know that it probably didn't all wash out of there with just one wash. I have not noticed any corrosion or anything else for that matter.

Silver reacts to sulpher :) lol

A little off topic... when I wash my fresh soap pots with dish soap a wafting of amonia rises. Anyone know what's going on there?

Bex -- What do you use in your soap that has nitrogen or protein in it?

We'll I would say the golds and platinum are safe because I have gotten freshly mixed soap on my hands before and it didn't mess up my wedding rings. I do wash my hands within a couple of minuets, after I am done molding, but I have a big diamond on my engagement band and you know that it probably didn't all wash out of there with just one wash. I have not noticed any corrosion or anything else for that matter.

I don't know if that's enough time to consider them safe... I'd want to know what happens after 48 hours of constant exposure.

Bex -- What do you use in your soap that has nitrogen or protein in it?

oh, geez... I have no idea. Is that what causes that reaction?

edit: it only happens with that dish soap (a mix of a few brands i bought poured together in a bottle), but when i use our liquid hand soap it doesn't smell like ammonia.

Last edited:
"...Is that what causes that reaction?..."

That's what I'd guess, if it is ammonia (NH4OH). Gini has it right -- milk can contribute to odd odors in handcrafted soap, since it contains protein, a source of nitrogen (N).

On re-reading your post, I am not sure if you're talking about odor from soaps you have made or if you are talking about odor coming from commercial soaps. If they're "store bought" soaps, then I'm not sure what's going on.

"...Is that what causes that reaction?..."

That's what I'd guess, if it is ammonia (NH4OH). Gini has it right -- milk can contribute to odd odors in handcrafted soap, since it contains protein, a source of nitrogen (N).

On re-reading your post, I am not sure if you're talking about odor from soaps you have made or if you are talking about odor coming from commercial soaps. If they're "store bought" soaps, then I'm not sure what's going on.

I'm talking about, once I add this type of dish soap to my raw soap pot to clean it (when there is still some raw soap in there) it makes ammonia gas. But if i use this other liquid soap to wash the pot nothing weird happened.
I thought there was something in the dish soap reacting to my raw soap. And i can't check the ingredients since it was about 4 different soaps i poured in the pump bottle.

Back