Reaching trace very quickly

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So just stick blend until it’s really well mixed is so you have to do right ? I just blended for 5 minutes then I divided up the soap lye and added 3 separate colors . By the time I finished pooring all 3 the last bit I had in the cup was really thick

Five whole minutes of stick blending? That's waaaaay overkill. In 5 minutes, I might SB a total of 10 seconds, broken into several short bursts.

I let lye water and oil rest to room temperature overnight.
And it’s usually they are both about 75* when I blend

I don’t add fo until after it starts to SAP?
Usually if I stock blend for 30 seconds it’s still really THIN . Does your thicken up really quickly or does that not matter long as it’s evenly blended ?

The lye will slowly lose activity as it combines with the carbon dioxide in the air. Make sure that you limit this by keeping it covered. The other issue is keeping the lye safely away from people and pets.

And it’s usually they are both about 75* when I blend

I don’t add fo until after it starts to SAP?
Usually if I stock blend for 30 seconds it’s still really THIN . Does your thicken up really quickly or does that not matter long as it’s evenly blended ?
From what I can tell, from the replies, it all depends on the recipe...I think high shea and high castor oil was the culprit in my case. I've tried several other recipes now without this problem.

Back