Raw shea butter smell

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does the filtering and tempering improve the scent?
Nope, its not any kind of refining. The filtering is because its completely raw and comes with plant matter still in it. I prefer that over shea that I have no idea how many times its been handled and heated and may be damaged. Tempering is to ensure its a smooth product with no graininess. It being damaged or grainy isn't really an issue in soap, but it is for butters, balms, lotions. Shea is really fickle and can become permanently grainy if its been heated too high or too long or too many times etc. So while I started out with small amounts in plastic tubs, now I prefer getting the raw stuff so I don't have to worry about how many times its been melted down and re-sized. And my cocoa butter supplier sends the cocoa butter cut into chunks instead of melted down.

When I got my first batch of unrefined shea butter I wasn't too in love with the scent but I didn't mind it. As I started ordering from different sources I found that different sources tend to smell differently. Could be the age I'm not sure. I finally found a unrefined beige colored one with a mild nutty scent.

I have been getting mine from a local guy who said it was fresh but it just seemed like an extremely strong odor, I'm getting adjusted to it now. I found a supplier of raw shea on etsy that was lower than his price so I will find out soon the different scents to the butter.

Latest posts

Back