quick question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amanda_hughes

Reaction score
I unmolded a few of my soaps that i made last night. Did the zap test-no zaps.. i wanted to see how it lathered etc.. it lathers fine. Just what i want BUT now my hands feel a bit raw-ish.. just my palms though and i noticed Some light skin peeling. I'm assuming its because i didn't let it sit and cure. But my soap wont stay like that will it?

If you did the zap test and the soap tested OK then it should be OK. I would cure the soap for four weeks and try again. CP soap gets milder as it cures. Of course the peeling could have been cause by allergies due to essential or fragrance oils, if you included them in the recipe.

Amanda, you make me giggle. Like me, you have a hard time waiting for that painfully slow cure time. Don't worry too much about the taught feel & skin peeling. A one day cure is not long & the soap is still doing stuff somewhat.

Just to be sure, though, run your recipe through SoapCalc if you have not already, double check the amounts of ingredients, and if you have pH paper, check the pH today and in a week to see how the alkalinity has changed.
Let us know how it goes.

By the way- for weighing lye in soap, perferct a fool-proof method you are comfortable with. Here is mine- I use a specific stainless steel spoon to weigh lye on a scale. I know it takes almost exactly 4 level spoonfuls for a 24 oz batch. If I pay attention to the scale read-out AND the #'s of spoonfuls added to the lye weighing container, I feel confident about the weighing. For the water required for a 24 oz batch, I also use the same container every time and the amount, whether discounted or not, is always ~2/3 of the container volume (near the line I etched). This method evolved after I royally screwed up a batch with an accidental double weighing of lye. The soap salted itself (lye is a salt), it was crusty, and chalky & smelled like lye.

Julie

Amanda - I washed my hands the next day after making my first soap and I was so worried that I wasted all that time and money. It didn't feel very good on my hands. Then I waited a couple of weeks and it got better. Then after 4+ weeks I loved it. It takes awhile for the ph to go down and for the oils to fully come to what we love about our soaps. If your skin still peels after the cure then it could be the FO or any allergies.

Julieanne - great idea about fool-proofing your measurements!

I am very impatient lol.. I wanted to see it lather up. This is the first one I've tried. I have yet to try my other soaps. I Tried a new recipe, 25% co, 25% oo, and 50% lard. I ran it through soapcalc already. I'm thinking if in 6 weeks it turns out nicely it may just turn into my basic go to recipe.

Latest posts

Back