Questions!!!Very Very SAD

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrissyB

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I just made a batch of soap, everything was going great, until I added my lavender essential oil. I have used this oil many times with no problem at all, but today as soon as I put it in my mix seized. I had to work really quickly to get it in the mould, and then tried to smooth it out with glad wrap over the top. My questions are: will it still saponify if it has seized ? And can I rescue the batch by rebatching it later on? It is such a shame to just throw it away. I am so sad, I could cry. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Hi Chrissy,

I've had this happen to me a couple of times now and from what I can tell the soap is still okay - it just doesn't look so good - as in - not smooth because of having to dollop it into the mould.

I am a long way from being good at this so I'm sure someone else will be able to offer a more experienced opinion.

Sorry it didn't turn out the way you wanted!

Debbie

Thanks Debbie
I won't be able to keep the soap as it is, it is such a funny looking gloop, I couldn't get it even on the top or anything.
I am hoping that it will still saponify then I can grate it and rebatch it and get it to normal looking!! :oops:

Hi Chrissy - don't be sad; if you don't like the look of it once it has set up just rebatch it like you said. Lots of things can affect how our soap turns out - including our attitude at the time (lol...). Maybe the temp was a little different to usual or the humidity was higher or lower :wink:

I was given a tip by Nizzy yesterday when adding EOs and FOs, if you are not sure how it will behave in your batch, try adding it to the oils before you add the lye water - apparently this dilutes the fragrance base so it may behave better :D

Tanya

Thanks for that hint Tanya, that makes sense to me so I will definitely use that next time. It seems to me that perhaps the fo's or eo's might grab with the oils (molecularly) so are maybe more stable!!
I guess that's what makes this soaping thing fun, it's all trial and error, and if things turned out right all the time we might get bored!!
I will rebatch it tomorrow, so it won't need too much water. I might even try whipping it, that was next on my list!

I always add my FO to the oils before the lye goes in. It doesn't seem to do much about accelerating for me but it surely simplifies the process!
(exception for when the FO discolors and I need to pull some soap out for the swirl or something).

Adding the FOs and EOs to the oil before the lye eliminates seize for me. It also makes adding colorants, herbs anything else you add to your soap really easy. It's a great way to add clays, and milk powders, too.

I can't imagine soaping any other way. I think someone from Pangea taught me this trick a few years ago. They make tons of soap, so when they talk - I listen.

ChrissyB said:
Carebear are you saying that if you had your FO into the oil before the lye then you can eliminate the chance of seize??
ELIMINATES? I wish. But it seems to buy me a bit more time.

Oh, don't throw it out! Either rebatch it, or.....once it cures, cut it into chunks and add it to another fresh batch of soap at thick trace. This makes interesting patterns when the new batch is cut into bars.

Thanks so much for the hints guys. I had never thought of adding fo to the oil before the lye, lucky I've got you guys!!!
I am going to do that on my next batch, I am feeling a bit disheartened today so maybe tomorrow!!
Farmgirl, I like your idea. I think I might chop it up into cubes and then put it in at thick trace. I saw someone else do that and it looked great.
I'll let you know how I go.
Thanks for everyone's help, I feel so much better.

topcat said:
Excellent! Whipping is on my list of things to do also...have you seen Nizzy's tutorial webpage? Excellent info plus lots of great info here on the forum too :)

Can you direct me to Nizzy's webpage?

TheGardener said:
topcat said:
Excellent! Whipping is on my list of things to do also...have you seen Nizzy's tutorial webpage? Excellent info plus lots of great info here on the forum too :)

Can you direct me to Nizzy's webpage?

Here is the link:-

http://nizzymoulds.com/

He makes and sells moulds also. Just cliick on the various links - he has supurb pics here too. The whipped soap link is a tutorial with pics - very helpful :D

Latest posts

Back