Questions Re: EDTA Use

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ladies you are fantastic , I ordered my EDTA already and came here to find how it works. Thank you for simple solution:)

Thank you IrishLass for the above breakdown. I was also wondering about the 2.56 and you couldn't have explained it better. This info is gold

I would like to do a laundry bar soap for use in hard water and I hope to share the results soon.

Thanks

I also liked this discussion, and just realized it was from 2016! At first I thought about making up a 39% EDTA solution as described (right now I just use the powder) - but then realized that using the solution would increase my water amount. I do a water discount and really don't want to increase my water - so after all is said and done, I'm going to continue with just using the powder at .5%.

It doesn't have to increase the total water if you don't want it to. If you make a 50% EDTA solution, as I describe in the link in my previous post, then half the weight of this solution is water. Subtract half of the solution weight from the total water weight and you're back on track. I do this for all my recipes.

If you use an NaOH masterbatch, you have to adjust for the water in the NaOH solution. The way you do this correction for EDTA solution is exactly the same.

It wouldn't surprise me if the SoapMaking Friend calc will do the math for you. If it doesn't, I suspect the developers would add that if you asked. But it's not hard to do by hand, especially if you use a 50% EDTA solution.

Latest posts

Back