Questions: M&P quality

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcmike967

Reaction score
Hi, so I`m new to the soap making. I went to my local hobby shop and purchased four pounds of melt and pour, it turned out good, not great. I have used some of the soap sold at the local farmers market and just thought it was far better. I went back and bought three more one was made using the cold method and the other two were melt and pours and all were far superior to the ones I made.

My questions:
1) I`m considering purchasing a larger quantity of the base this time and would like to not have to worry about the quality. It seems bulknaturaloils.com gets good reviews and has great prices, but how is the quality?

2) Is SLS and or SLES free important?

I really appreciate the help, thank you :)

Hi and welcome! When I first started soaping I as well did MP and bought them from craft stores and as well found out they are not as superior as others I had tried. The question about SLS and or SLES free is all up to you. Do you want soap with these detergents in it or not, the latter being the reason most people look to make their own soap. Until you find one that works to your expectations, I wouldn't go more than a couple of pounds. I have not used the one from bulknaturaloils.com so I cannot provide advice on those.

I'm not hugely experienced with M & P but personally, I wouldn't buy from a company that doesn't have pictures of the actual product and a better ingredient list. I suggest you order smaller amounts until you find a base you like. Some companies offer sampler packs of different bases.

Detergent free bases are important to some people, here is a good sampler http://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com/products/detergent-free-mp-soap-sampler-kit.aspx

a good sampler of detergent based M&P http://www.brambleberry.com/A-Melt-And-Pour-Sampler-Kit-Soap-Sampler-P4280.aspx

I love the bases from SFIC; Brambleberry, Bulk Apothecary (cheapest), Soaper's Resource, Nurture Soap Supplies all use this brand of base. WSS has a variety of bases - haven't tried, but price includes shipping.

Latest posts

Back